Hazed and Infused clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I plan to do a full boil w/extract kit, can someone help me with hops adjustment? 6 gallon boil.
7lbs. Extra pale extract
1/2lb. Carapils
1/2lb. Crystal 40L
1oz. Centennial @60
1oz. Crystal@15
1oz.Crystal@5
1oz. Crystal- dry hopped
I just bought beer smith and have NO idea how to adjust hops yet. Also it said to dry hop (beer smith not extract directions) for 3 days in secondary, is this correct? I assumed you dry hopped the full 2 weeks in secondary. It sucks being a n00b.:(

You can dry hop for longer than three days, and many do. I usually go at least five days, and it won't hurt you to go the full two weeks in the secondary. Actually, you may want to give the beer a day or two to gas out in the secondary before you add the dry hops.

I would bump up that addition to, at least, two ounces. One ounce probably won't get you the same dry hop aroma that Hazed and Infused has.

TL

Thanks for the help, can anyone help me with the hops utilization for a full boil, im going to make this on Saturday.

Well, when you adjust the hops, it helps if you know the IBUs you're shooting for. Otherwise, it's just a guess. You need the AAUs of the hops, and the approx target IBUs.

Still, just a quick glance at it tells me it looks ok based on the info you provided.

YooperBrew said:
Well, when you adjust the hops, it helps if you know the IBUs you're shooting for. Otherwise, it's just a guess. You need the AAUs of the hops, and the approx target IBUs.

Still, just a quick glance at it tells me it looks ok based on the info you provided.
Im not shooting for any particular number, the extract is made in a 2 1/2 gallon boil, I was under the impression that a full boil would raise the hops utilization, which I don't mind if it doesn't overpower the beer, hence the question.

wildwest450 said:
I was under the impression that a full boil would raise the hops utilization...

It will, but we need to know what the original IBU of the recipe was to make the changes necessary. Oh, and we need to know the AA%'s of the hops you're using as well.

Well, we're not trying to give you a hard time! It's just hard to adjust numbers if you don't have any to work with. I'm really surprised that your kit doesn't have the IBUs listed on the recipe, that's really strange.

Anyway, if you want to see what the IBUs will be, if you tell us the AAUs of the hops, I can figure out what the recipe IBUs should be for you, and then use my software to calculate doing it as a full boil.

The recipe looks fine as is, though.

YooperBrew said:
Well, we're not trying to give you a hard time!

This coming from the person who yelled at me for calling her a man when I first joined.;) I kid.

Centennial hops- 10%
Crystal Hops- 3.3%

This is an AHS kit and I doubled checked, no mention of IBU's. Although they probably assume your going to follow their instructions and do a partial boil, so it wouldn't matter. And Yooper if you say it look's fine, I trust ya.

Just sayin off hand, that looks like a boat load more hops (IBUS) than Hazed and Infused prb uses..could just be my perception but...

if it's an AHS clone recipe, those are usually pretty dam close.

looking on their site they list the following hops in H&I:
Chinook
Willamette
Cascade
Crystal
Centennial

W/ the grain bill:
2 row
Medium Caramel
Roasted Barley

Ok, is the extract liquid or dry? I ran it through Beersmith as the recipe was written (using liquid malt), and with a 2.5 gallon boil, you get 25.7 IBUs.

For a five gallon boil, the same ingredients get you 44.3 if you start with 6 gallons and boil down to five in that one hour.

If you want to keep the 25.7 IBUs in the recipe, you'd reduce the first hops addition to .50 ounce of the centennial, and then you could reduce the first crystal addition to .75 ounce (or you could leave it at one ounce there- the difference is negligible). If you reduce the centennial to 1/2 ounce at 60, and leave the rest of the recipe the same, you'll have 26.3 IBUs.

YooperBrew said:
Ok, is the extract liquid or dry? I ran it through Beersmith as the recipe was written (using liquid malt), and with a 2.5 gallon boil, you get 25.7 IBUs.

For a five gallon boil, the same ingredients get you 44.3 if you start with 6 gallons and boil down to five in that one hour.

If you want to keep the 25.7 IBUs in the recipe, you'd reduce the first hops addition to .50 ounce of the centennial, and then you could reduce the first crystal addition to .75 ounce (or you could leave it at one ounce there- the difference is negligible). If you reduce the centennial to 1/2 ounce at 60, and leave the rest of the recipe the same, you'll have 26.3 IBUs.

It's a liquid extract recipe. My question, if i leave it will the beer be overpowering? I do like hoppy beers, but im NOT a hophead. I prefer somewhat balanced hoppiness. Also, SWMBO loves this beer because she say's it's refreshing and crisp. Who know's, this is only my fourth batch, mabey someday i'll get it.:eek: Yopper, do you ever get the feeling your a pre school teacher instead of a brew wizard?:D

wildwest450 said:
It's a liquid extract recipe. My question, if i leave it will the beer be overpowering? I do like hoppy beers, but im NOT a hophead. I prefer somewhat balanced hoppiness. Also, SWMBO loves this beer because she say's it's refreshing and crisp. Who know's, this is only my fourth batch, mabey someday i'll get it.:eek: Yopper, do you ever get the feeling your a pre school teacher instead of a brew wizard?:D

Well, I think if you want to keep it at the level of the "real" Hazed and Infused, I'd reduce the hops. If you don't, it'll be almost twice as bitter and I would guess your SWMBO wouldn't be a fan. I, however, would love it. I think H&I is just too mild as it is! But, I'm a total hophead, and I love bitter beers, too. I think Arrogant Bastard is an easy drinking session beer, so you're probably better off reducing the hopping!

I'm definitely NOT a brew wizard. I'm just someone with way too much time on my hands!!!!!!

YooperBrew said:
I'm definitely NOT a brew wizard. I'm just someone with way too much time on my hands!!!!!!

But, it's people like you that prevent potential brew disasters, so your help is much appreciated. Without the help on this forum from all the experienced brewer's, this hobby would not be as enjoyable. Now no more question's, im off to clean my keg so I can start enjoying my very first brew, nut brown ale.

ready for the monkey wrench!?!

Hazed and Infused comes in at 38 IBUs and 12.5 plato (1.050). the grain bill is ridiculously simple: 2row, crystal 40, and just a touch of roasted barley. i'd shoot for about 9 SRM. the hops are as stated, chinook, willamette and cascade, at 60, 30 and 5. and the dry hops (the most important part, of course) come out at 2.5lbs per barrel (or 1.3oz per gallon, for us small scale folks) at a ratio of 70% crystal, 30% centennial. the dry hops are added after final gravity is achieved and left for about 3 weeks (yes, that's right, 3 weeks). how do i know this, you ask? Let's just say i know people :mug:

Latest posts

Back