Haze Craze All Grain Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Day-Day

Reaction score
I've been brewing kits lately... given that I'm an extremely busy husband, father of two, and 2nd year PhD student... it's nice to just have a kit delivered to my door. No weighing and crushing grain, no driving to the store, no recipe development,etc. The only real work besides the actual brewing is building/calculating my water profile the night before I brew.

A few weeks ago I brewed Morebeer's Haze Craze all grain kit

https://www.morebeer.com/products/haze-craze-ipa-grain-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html

Thursday Night I made a starter of Imperial A38 Juice

View media item 70525
The next morning it was crawling out of the flask and onto my cutting board

View media item 70526
I didn't get any pics of the mash/lauter... but maybe next time...I mashed at 154 degrees F for one hour. ... here's the boil... you can see a nice golden orange wort.

View media item 70527
The only change I made to the recipe was with the hop schedule. The recipe called for 1 oz of warrior at 60 mins. I put .5 oz at 60 mins and .5 at 30 minutes instead. The flame out hops I didn't add until I cooled the wort to 180 degrees F, and steeped for 20 mins. A paint strainer bag was used for all hops on the hot side.

Wort was cooled to 64 degrees F, oxygenated for 2 mins ( read somewhere that A38 likes extra oxygen... who knows)

Yeast was pitched and fermentation was done in a swamp cooler in the mop sink of my basement.

I didn't get any pics of the fermentation or dry hopping... the beer looked quite ugly, gray and like gravy after the second dry hop addition.

First round of dry hops were added at day three of fermentation... 2nd round was added on day 5... beer was cold crashed on day 10.

Here's the beer after a 48 hour cold crash

View media item 70528
Equipment was sanitized and prepped for a closed system transfer.

View media item 70529
I cold crashed in my kegerator, I'm able to just slide the tower aside and run the tubing and gas through the top so I can transfer without disturbing the trub. This allows for a much cleaner transfer.

View media item 70530
View media item 70531
The beer was kegged on day 12

Here's a pint on Day 18

View media item 70532
The beer is phenomenal... it really is a great kit. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

A few key notes.

1) Closed transfer is key for this style... that probably goes without saying.
2) I build my water from distilled. I used the water profile in this recipe https://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/juicy-neipa-new-england-ipa-recipe

My beers have improved vastly since I started building from distilled. It's a pain in the you know what to go buy water every time but the beer is WAY WAY WAY better, it's the single biggest improvement I've made in my brewing.

3) This is a very approachable recipe... but does require good technique and some finesse.

Tasting

The beer is excellent... very juicy... nice citrus/tropical aroma and taste. Not to sweet... good amount of sweet/tart/dryness. This beer very much reminds me of starburst candy... just a big tropical juice bomb.

I hope this review helps someone who is thinking about brewing this kit... I couldn't find a detailed review of this beer... so hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back