Haze and protien rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
Just trying to continue my education. I just kegged my Maibock and wow is it hazy. 3 months lager at 36F, used single infusion mash with weyermann pils malt. So I am also reading Altbier in the classic brew styles and see it is very much demanding a multi-step mash with a protien rest. I always read this is not necessary due to modern malts. The book is 14 years old. I was wondering if anyone can talk through these issues.

I use gelatin for all my beers. I simply add it to the keg once the temp gets to 40 or so. Works like a charm for me.

The malt analysis sheet will tell you if you need to do a protein rest. Ask the maltster for the sheet and look for the S/T or Kolbach number, also look for total protein. Less than 38% soluble protein and you may want to start thinking about a protien rest. More than 12% total protein and you may want to start thinking about a protien rest. Don't over do it though, the mouthfeel will be effected.

........... So I am also reading Altbier in the classic brew styles and see it is very much demanding a multi-step mash with a protien rest. I always read this is not necessary due to modern malts. The book is 14 years old. I was wondering if anyone can talk through these issues.

Yes, with today's malts they are typically modified enough such that haze is not really an issue. That being said, the maltsters make malt that is "generic", in that it has to be able to be used by a wide range of brewers on a wide range of systems so they have to make some compromises to please everyone. That leaves some room for some tweaking to what you can get out of the malt.

When they say a protein rest is not necessary, that is largely directed at haze control. That however does not mean there are not other benefits to doing a protein rest. The role of protein is largely ignored by homebrewers. It is very important for head formation of course, but it is also a very important contributor to the body of a beer - which is what homebrewers largely overlook.

When I use lots of pilsner malt, I always use a 15-20 minute protein rest. Even for pale malt beers, I was unhappy with my results with a single infusion. I switched to mashing in at 122 F and then immediately ramping up to my main starch conversion temp (takes about 15 min. on my system). I get much better foam formation doing this, and a little boost in the body as well

Back