Having trouble assembling a weldless dip tube on my keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedutchtouch

Reaction score
I recently purchased a weldless dip tube from norcal/jaybird bottom. I am getting around to assembling my keggle and am having a difficult time, the kit I was sent includes one each of the following:
False bottom and stand
Dip tube
Compression fitting
Coupling
1/2x1 1/2 nipple
519PIdpQ-CL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

Lock nut
Washer
Silicone O ring
Ball valve

When assembled,there is no way to tighten the coupling or the lock nut down enough if the lock nut is put on the ball valve side of the nipple, and there isn't enough thread length to attach the coupling if the lock nut is placed on the keggle side of the nipple. should I have received a close nipple (kind with no smooth part in the center, threads all the way along like this)
51yy4ogMRsL._SY355_.jpg

instead of the nipple I did get? (It doesn't matter if I put the washer and O ring on the inside or outside of the keggle, the same set of problems exists with either configuration) Or am I somehow assembling this wrong?

You will not be able to tighten it down with 1.5" Long pipe nipple.

You need a close nipple for a keg or kettle kit.

You should contact them as it sounds like you got the wrong nipple. Pretty sure they will take care of you.

I recently purchased a weldless dip tube from norcal/jaybird bottom. I am getting around to assembling my keggle and am having a difficult time, the kit I was sent includes one each of the following:
False bottom and stand
Dip tube
Compression fitting
Coupling
1/2x1 1/2 nipple
519PIdpQ-CL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

Lock nut
Washer
Silicone O ring
Ball valve

When assembled,there is no way to tighten the coupling or the lock nut down enough if the lock nut is put on the ball valve side of the nipple, and there isn't enough thread length to attach the coupling if the lock nut is placed on the keggle side of the nipple. should I have received a close nipple (kind with no smooth part in the center, threads all the way along like this)
51yy4ogMRsL._SY355_.jpg

instead of the nipple I did get? (It doesn't matter if I put the washer and O ring on the inside or outside of the keggle, the same set of problems exists with either configuration) Or am I somehow assembling this wrong?

Thanks, I was figuring that was likely the problem. I've sent a follow up email to norcal so hope to hear back soon, in the mean time I think I'll run out and buy the nipple from my lhbs.

Back