Having some problems today, need bigger starter, what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I am planning to brew on either Sat. or Sun depending on the answers I get here.

I made a 800ml starter because I did not have enough DME to make a bigger one today. I just noticed with the manf. date, 10/2/2012, that I will need 2 Wyeast packs, which I only have 1 for a 1.056 beer. So I am wondering, to brew by Sat or Sun, should I buy more DME and add fresh wort on top of the existing wort tomorrow and pitch the whole thing on Sat/Sun? Or if they have another pack of the same yeast, should I add that to the starter tomorrow and add fresh wort?

If I do have to add more wort, since I will be adding it on top of the other wort since I am in a crunch for time, how much wort should I add and at what og?

I have this on a stir plate.

Thanks!

You're kind of tight for a step up...do you have a bigger container? Maybe 3-4L? If so, add the second yeast packet and enough DME to make the starter gravity in the 1.030 range.

EDIT: Yeastcalc.com has a little calculator for how much DME to use

As it stands, you're short about 50 billion cells. An estimate based on yeastcalc. You could probably get away with just pitching what you have. If you want to adhere to proper pitching rates though, just add another 500 mls or so of starter wort and you're good to go. Starter wort should be close to 1.040.

I think with an 800 ml starter on a stir plate that you should be fine for a 1.056 beer. But if you feel you need more yeast, then I would cold crash your starter and decant the spent wort, then add another 1 L of boiled and cooled DME wort. I wouldn't just add fresh wort on top of your original starter due to the presence of alcohol. This is why you want to decant it. I also decant my starter before pitching into my brew.

I don't think I would buy another pack of the same yeast and add to the starter with fresh wort.

As it stands, you're short about 50 billion cells. An estimate based on yeastcalc. You could probably get away with just pitching what you have. If you want to adhere to proper pitching rates though, just add another 500 mls or so of starter wort and you're good to go. Starter wort should be close to 1.040.

So you think to add the new starter wort right on top of the existing wort? The problem I have is I don't know if I have enough time to decant and add more wort after that, so I think I will have to add right on top of the existing wort. I can't get any more DME until tomorrow so I was thinking I would add that tomorrow afternoon. Would I want the OG of all of the wort to be 1.04 or should I just make the 500MLs 1.04?

Also, how long would I let that sit on the stir plate before I pitch it?

You're kind of tight for a step up...do you have a bigger container? Maybe 3-4L? If so, add the second yeast packet and enough DME to make the starter gravity in the 1.030 range.

So you would just add another litre of wort with a new yeast pack to the existing starter? I was thinking this was going to be my first option if they had another pack of the yeast, which 1 of the 2 stores is out of stock for sure, so not sure.

You're getting down to the wire on time if you brew on Saturday. You may or may not have enough time to cold crash, decant and add more wort. If you brew Sunday it's definitely doable. Make the decision right now which day you're going to brew. If Saturday, just add more 1.040 wort to your existing starter tomorrow if you have enough room in your vessel. If Sunday, then cold crash tomorrow when it's done and decant/step it up on Saturday. It should only take 24 hours or less to complete each step. You'll know when it's done by a smooth milky color and strong yeasty smell.

FYI, you don't need a new pack of yeast. You have plenty.

Edit

One more thing, don't fill your starter vessel much over half way full. If you do you're risking blowoff.

You're getting down to the wire on time if you brew on Saturday. You may or may not have enough time to cold crash, decant and add more wort. If you brew Sunday it's definitely doable. Make the decision right now which day you're going to brew. If Saturday, just add more 1.040 wort to your existing starter tomorrow if you have enough room in your vessel. If Sunday, then cold crash tomorrow when it's done and decant/step it up on Saturday. It should only take 24 hours or less to complete each step. You'll know when it's done by a smooth milky color and strong yeasty smell.

FYI, you don't need a new pack of yeast. You have plenty.

Edit

One more thing, don't fill your starter vessel much over half way full. If you do you're risking blowoff.

I appreciate the help, I'll probably just wait until Sunday :tank:

Back