Having problems with Chugger pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
So, my old pump burnt up, and I had a chugger laying around that I bought about 9 months ago. I wired it up to my rig and tried to run a test on it to make sure everything was working properly. Everything fires up, it runs and pumps, I'm just having issues with pumping. It seems to pump a little bit, then stop.

I'm sorry this isn't a closeup of the pump mounted, but can someone see an issue with my setup that would cause the pump not to run? I'm using 1/2" silicone tubing, camlocks, etc. My old pump had no issues...

Ignore the hose configuration... I was showing my dad my cooling process. The pump won't pump in any configuration...

photo.jpg

Thats one of the old style, not sure what the difference is. I would call chugger, im sure theyll help you out.

I read a thread on here a few days ago about the impeller on the old chugger pumps losing magnetism at higher temperatures. The pump would run for a while, then the impeller would lose its magnetic attraction to the drive shaft and the pump would stall.

I read a thread on here a few days ago about the impeller on the old chugger pumps losing magnetism at higher temperatures. The pump would run for a while, then the impeller would lose its magnetic attraction to the drive shaft and the pump would stall.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen to me. I bought mine for $89 (with SS head!) about 9-10 months ago. I saw it on ebay, had a 10% off coupon through ebay, and decided I couldn't pass up that deal. Now, I see they've raised their prices significantly. I guess if it fails, I'll go back to a March.

The stand looks nice... :D

Thanks!

I think I figured out my problem... my old pump didn't seem to need a bleeder valve, but after searching the forum for a little bit, I realized a lot of people are using them. I've got some extra parts laying around from my build, so I'm going to try and rig up a bleeder valve tonight and see if it works.

I'd flip the head around, this way gravity fills it up with liquid (priming the pump) then you pump the liquid up and out. That should solve your pumping issues if the pump isn't having an issue of it's own.

the yellow line represents the top of the inlet opening inside the pump head....that where the liquid will top off at and air will be trapped above it.

-Walter

So, even with a bleeder valve on the output side, I'm still going to have issues if I don't flip the head? It's not a big deal to flip it I suppose...

You're saying that the inlet needs to face down, right?

Well, I hope that doesn't happen to me. I bought mine for $89 (with SS head!) about 9-10 months ago. I saw it on ebay, had a 10% off coupon through ebay, and decided I couldn't pass up that deal. Now, I see they've raised their prices significantly. I guess if it fails, I'll go back to a March.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with march, but if you have a problem id contact chugger. Their customer service has been great and im sure they would take care of it.

I had my Chugger installed with a bleeder valve and it was a disaster. Without any valve it works fine at all temps. Inlet on bottom.

We have tested thee pumps in all configurations ...while actually brewing ...we hvae tested your configuration and although it may cause problems...its not that bad and should work.

We have tested thee pumps in all configurations ...while actually brewing ...we hvae tested your configuration and although it may cause problems...its not that bad and should work.

Well what's the issue then? It seems to work fine (but slow) as long as I don't have liquid in the vessel I'm pumping too, but if there's any liquid at all, it won't force enough air out of the lines to get a good pump going. I'm going to try flipping the head and installing a bleeder tomorrow, so hopefully that'll help.

It has to be able to pump to a kettle that has liquid in it...the way I have my system designed...

It means that the inlet setup to any pump can effect the pump. This setup does not looks fine. It would be easier to discuss when you call me. I will solve your problem

MIKE 800-810-1053....8am-5PM EST if not send me your number I will call you

Solved the problem! I flipped the head and installed a bleeder valve. Now it runs great. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back