Having party today - need suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridarunner68

Reaction score
I have a CO2 tank about 2 foot high and about 8-10 inches in diameter with 5 kegs attached. I originally bought the gauges for a foot long tank and the needle is half-way in the red. The only local gas place is closed. The needle doesn't move very fast and the kegs have been under pressure for about 2 months at about 10 psi at 37 degrees.

I know I should have had it filled yesterday. I thought I was good.

My instincts are telling me that it will last through the party tonight. The gauge says 250. When I had it filled, it was barely over 500 and that was about 2 years ago.

I know oxygen is bad, but I have the little O2 tank that I use for yeast. How bad will it affect my beer until Monday in case I need something to push it out of the five kegs?

Any other suggestions besides siphoning it out would great.

I am running to Lowe's and Home Depot to see if they have any other little cannisters maybe I can rig something up.

I'd call around and see if there's a paintball place open or something that will fill it.

I wouldn't dispense with a tank of O2... if you've ever tried hand-pumped keg beer after a few days you'll know that i can ruin a keg quick.

The guages don't really tell you anything useful, until your on your last tiny bit of gas.

What you need to do is weigh your tank and locate the tare weight that is stamped on the tank to figure out how much is left

Thanks.

The only thing I can find is: 20# CO2 stamped on the tank with lots of inspection dates.

The tank weighs 30.4 lbs.

I went to Lowe's and they want $82 for the Cobalt regulator and $35 for the large CO2 cannister or $23 for the smaller cannister.

I think I will be OK. If it runs out, I'll turn off my valves and rock the kegs a little to build pressure OR siphion into a pitcher. I have 14 people coming over.

Rob

I expect with a 20# tank @ 250 psi and pre-carbonated beer, you'll be good for the night. You are running on "fumes" though and should refill soon.

Thanks. I am kicking myself in the butt for this one. I have been hyping this party for 3-4 weeks. It's a late Florida Oktoberfest with brats/green peppers/saurkraut/onions, Sauerbraten, German potato salad. and whatever else comes in a side dish.

Out of the 14 who are coming, I might have 5-6 hardcore beer drinkers.

I will post a follow up tomorrow or late tonight.

Thanks.

The only thing I can find is: 20# CO2 stamped on the tank with lots of inspection dates.

The tank weighs 30.4 lbs.

If you still want to check on this look for a TW and some numbers stamped on the tank. I think it should be close to the first inspection date.

Glad you made it- I still say the gauges are more of a 'rule of thumb' (kind of like thermometers...). Place where I fill has funky hours too, and is a pain to get my 5# aluminum filled- They always try to swap me a steel tank, and have an excuse why they can't fill it right now. Thank goodness I have 2 20# steel tanks I scored for free (only need one :). Spares come in handy.

Place where I fill has funky hours too, and is a pain to get my 5# aluminum filled- They always try to swap me a steel tank, and have an excuse why they can't fill it right now.

From what I understand, it is a pain for them to fill a single 5 pounder. I guess they like to fill several tanks at once and get these little guys in when they do a group of larger ones.

From what I understand, it is a pain for them to fill a single 5 pounder. I guess they like to fill several tanks at once and get these little guys in when they do a group of larger ones.

Typically they are filling a large tank, or did nitrogen or something last- You're right; They don't want to bleed the lines for just a 5lbs tank (at least they are honest with their air products).

Glad you made it- I still say the gauges are more of a 'rule of thumb' (kind of like thermometers...). Place where I fill has funky hours too, and is a pain to get my 5# aluminum filled- They always try to swap me a steel tank, and have an excuse why they can't fill it right now. Thank goodness I have 2 20# steel tanks I scored for free (only need one :). Spares come in handy.

Why don't you fill your 5 lb from your 20 lb's then??

While on the subject. i have a scuba tank that I will not be using. Can I get this recertified for Co2 and put a new valve on it? I don't see why not. It's be nice to have a 3 foot scuba full of co2 as back up and then just fill my 5#'er off that.

There's a difference between a serving tank, and a filler tank. CO2 is liquid, so filler tanks actually have a dip tube in them. I probably could, but would loose pressure doing so. I have tank external now, so no biggie either way.

Latest posts

Back