Having a crack at a Mango IPA this weekend, thoughts on my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beskone

Reaction score
All late hop additions to give it a smooth bitterness and put the emphasis on the fruit / citrus character of the hops to hopefully pair well with the mango.

[size=+2]Mango IPA[/size]
[size=+1]21-A American IPA[/size]
Date: 6/6/15

Size: 5.5*gal
Efficiency: 85.0%
Attenuation: 80%
Calories: 221.47*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.056 - 1.070)
|====================#===========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.014)
|======================#=========|
Color: 7.05*SRM (6.0 - 14.0)
|==========#=====================|
Alcohol: 7.03% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|====================#===========|
Bitterness: 71.3 (40.0 - 70.0)
|===============================|#

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
6 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
6 lb Maris Otter - added during mash
4.0 oz Crystal 40 - added during mash
.5 oz Simcoe® (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
.5 oz NZ Galaxy (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
.5 oz Citra™ (11.7%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
.5 oz Amarillo® (10%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
.5 oz Cascade (6.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m

.5 oz Simcoe® (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
.5 oz NZ Galaxy (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
.5 oz Citra™ (11.7%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
.5 oz Amarillo® (10%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
.5 oz Cascade (6.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m

3.0 White Labs WLP001 California Ale

3 lb Mangos (pureed) - added dry to primary fermenter

1 oz Citra™ (11.7%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Amarillo® (10%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz Nelson Sauvin (12.2%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 3.83*gal; Strike: 164.59*°F; Target: 152.0*°F
01:03:00 Rest - Rest: 60*m; Final: 150.0*°F
01:03:00 Fly Sparge - Sparge Volume: 6.12*gal; Sparge Temperature: 168.0*°F; Runoff: 6.77*gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 2.0.12[/size]

it's mango season here in Hawaii and I make mango hef every season, I think your beer looks good ! I usually use 4 to 5 pounds per 5gal and it's not overwhelming.

In my opinion all that hops will over power the mango flavor. When I do Mango APA I try to keep the IBUs about 25. I agree to about 1lb per gallon.

I make a mango ale using about 6 lbs mango per 5 gal batch. I would like to know the results of an IPA -- did the hops overpower the mangos?

This sounds good and I too would like to know if the hops overpowered the mango.

Amount depend on what you are going for. I am doing a session IPA with Citra and Mosaic and added 2lbs of passion fruit purée and 1lbs of Mango chunks.

I am trying to compliment the hops and provide a boost in tropical flavor and aroma.

I will let you know how it balances.

Feurhund,
I also have passion fruit growing at my house but I never thought of combining the two, please let me know the results.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

With a mango IPA I´d keep the bitter low as it can make the mango seem green and unripe easily. Just enough to balance is important. The right amount of low color caramalt is also imperative imho, as it needs to deliver that certain sweetness the mango flavor requires.

Finally, I highly recommend using Azacca hops a lot if not single hop. I have had a single hop IPA with it recently and it was the most mango heavy beer I´ve ever had. Deliciously juicy. Beat out beers with pounds of fresh mango added.

How can you ensure that there is no unwanted bacteria in the mango if you are going to add it to the primary? Also, aren't there fermentables in the mango? I too would like to know how this turned out.

Freezing fruit does a reasonable job of killing a lot. Adding towards the end of primary means there is no O2 and there is alcohol present which helps as well. The yeast can outcompete anything there.

I keep my beer kegged and cold after primary, so it is unlikely in my process to get an infection. If you are really worried, you can steam pasteurize the fruit or add at flame out, but you will lose some flavor and aromatics.

There are sugars in the mango and it will ferment down a bit so mash a little higher so it doesn't thin out and expect a gravity bump depending on amount.

I will have a taste report when I serve it this weekend.

Back