Have you ever made a beer so good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
...that the first taste you got from the tap almost made you cry. So you gave some to a friend and nearly saw a tear well up in his eye. Then you call up the friend that you gave a keg to in order to try and get it back from him because it is so freaking good and he tells you that even though it is Monday and you gave him the keg on last Tuesday, it is almost gone.

Last but not least, you come to the conclusion that since you dry hopped it, there is only about another month worth of time to drink it. That is when you slap your forehead and get back to brewing another batch in order to duplicate it.

I just tasted my IPA and about fell out of my shoes. It is by far the best beer I have brewed and damned close the the greatest IPA I have ever had. Shocked me half to death.

photo-765493.jpg

And then the terror sets in that maybe you did something while brewing it, on accident, that you'll never be able to duplicate again... :D

And then the terror sets in that maybe you did something while brewing it, on accident, that you'll never be able to duplicate again... :D

Ah yes! The i'll never be able to make this beer again. That is especially true when you throw in an extra pound of misc. specialty grains that you had laying around for the tripel you were going to brew 6 months ago but never got around too. Top that off with a little my hydromiter broke before taking my SG and you have an AMAZING belgian quad that will never be made again. I'm bracing for the "Only put known ingrediants in a beer" comments.

Has anyone ever put some stuff in a beer that they weren't really sure what it was and it came out awesome??

I cold brewed some hop tea (kind of like dry hopping water) with 2oz of centennials. Then I added it to the keg and poured a glass. It was so hoppy that it MADE my cry. It kind of burned going down.

Yep,

Recipe required. Looks awesome.

Speaking of ArmBrau, my California Common currently fermenting falls into this style as well.

(And this is why you need a hop bag if you do not have a bazooka screen in your keggle).

Santa Rosa, eh? Well hello from Hayward, any more of that beer left? :D

Actually, my kids have given me my fifth cold this year along with conjunctivitis and an ear infection. So, I'm on antibiotics and can't drink anyway...not like I could taste anything right now!!! :mad:

I love my kids...
I love my kids...
I love my kids...
(Repeat)

My last batch is like that.

It's the first beer I've made that the first word I used to describe it is "perfect".

It just won 2nd place in American Pale ales at the Amber Waves of Grain competition here in Buffalo. I'm seriously going to freakin cry when I drink the last one. :(

I wanna see a recipe too, I have almost floated a keg of a pale ale that didn't quite make me cry but gets close. An IPA may be a nice future brew.

Been there done that.

Once Kona stopped distributing here...my coworkers asked me (finally) to try my Kona clone.

Now I'm in semi-full time production just to keep them in weekly 6-packs.

Honestly the recipe is a take on many recipes here, just bigger and different. :) I call this the Big Event because we just had a big event and everyone that touched this beer to their lips had good things to say. I would say that about 25 people took a taste and even the ladies loved it! Watch out that you don't over boil like I did and end up with less beer that after two pints you know there is some alcohol in it.

The Big Event - IPA

10.5 gallon batch
OG - 1.070 (I got 1.078)
FG - 1.019
IBU - 50
SRM- 12 ish

22 lbs Golden Promise (British Two Row)
4 lbs Victory
1 lb Rye
1 lb Crystal 60L

Chinook for bittering
Cascade and Centennial at 30 and 15 and 10 evenly
3 oz of Cascade at whirlpool
2 oz Cascade Dry Hopped on day 7 for 7 days (just tossed in the pellets)
2.5 oz Centennial Dry Hopped on day 7 for 7 days (just tossed in the pellets)

This is the recipe, though of course the hops schedule is messed up because I don't have my notes directly on hand. I will see about getting them tomorrow.

Mashed 157 for an hour, fly sparged with 167* water, boiled for 90. Over boiled :( as I was aiming for 1.070

The absolute key to this coming out like it did though is the low bitter hop addition. I got, I believe, 35 IBU's from the Chinook at 60. Then with all the rest throughout it just slowly eaked up to 50. When I tasted this prior to dry hopping it was super malty, and I was seriously worried that the hops wouldn't come out enough. Very low bitter. Then I dry hopped for 7 days and viola! Success.

If it isn't your style I can understand. However I like my IPA's to have nearly all of their hops in the aroma, which is the same kind of hopping that coats your mouth with freshness instead of bittering the crap out of my beer. I brewed this on Feb 20, dry hopped in primary for a week and carbed a week before drinking it.

My last batch is like that.

It's the first beer I've made that the first word I used to describe it is "perfect".

It just won 2nd place in American Pale ales at the Amber Waves of Grain competition here in Buffalo. I'm seriously going to freakin cry when I drink the last one. :(

Damn you, my APA (Ed's recipe) did not fare so well in AWOG :) Then again, it was my first AG from last May, so...

No problem sharing the recipe. Everyone makes it just that little bit different so it will be interesting to see what people think. I spent $50 on hops though so be warned now. Go in with a friend on this one, then kill him after you get his money so that you can drink it all :)

Damn you, my APA (Ed's recipe) did not fare so well in AWOG :) Then again, it was my first AG from last May, so...

Ed's is a damn fine recipe, but for competition I thought I'd go as close to the maximum everything for American Ales. Mine is on the edge for color, IBU's, and alcohol but when you taste it, it definitely doesn't say "IPA" I think most beer judges are hopheads.

My third batch is when I finally made a beer I'd consider Good (sellable). It was my first time making a new recipe and it turned out much better than the kits I've boughten.

Wait until you start making beers with like two ingredients and have people say that it's good. That is a great feeling.

what two ingredients? You mean just barley and yeast? Or you mean you threw some wood or fruit in?

I did something like that, but not my arm.

Called it "Teabag Trippel"

It was quite good!

jk

Also, I can attest that cat/dog/wife hair doesn't effect the finished flavor of your beer, just the texture.

That's how I made my Siberian-Scottish Wee Husky ;)

I just wanted to say "Thanks" to each of you for contributing to the little wet spot on the front of my trousers..... AT WORK! The humor on these forums and an aging bladder are not always the best mix. ;)

I think it was ChshreCat that said something about throwing some "wood" in. Can't say that I would recommend it though unless the wort is cool.

no no no no no!
Everybody knows that to properly teabag your wort, you keep the wood up and out of the way.

Back