Have I ruined the pitching of my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry Matthews

TheBrewfather
Reaction score
Hello, I am still a newbie to brewing only now on my second brew. Have opted for a festive ginger beer creating the wort/extract myself this time by boiling up a load of ginger and other bits and bobs. I left it to cool (7L) for around 4/5 hours, once ti had reached about 22*C I toppped up to 23L in my primary fermentation bucket. Then added my yeast (Sprinkled) I then checked the temperature this morning and found it was only at 12-13*C. The yeast used was simple gervin ale yeast 11g pack and used about 80-90% of it. I am now worrying that it has gone too cold before being able to pick up speed and begin to ferment properly. I have currently got my bucket up to about 16-17*C and am giving it the occasional vigorous stir to hopefully kick some life into it. Please can someone give me some feedback/help/info, on what to do ?? as I am a bit clueless as to what to do and very worried that I'll spoil the batch.

My personal opinion is that a temperature drop is always better than a temperature rise. Anyway, you did the right thing in warming the beer up. I'd keep it at 18°C-ish and leave it alone. You need to give the yeast time now to adjust to its new home and propigate new cells. You should see kräusen (foam) forming after a day or two. If not, take a hydrometer reading and see if your gravity is dropping (a sure sign of fermentation).

Back