Have I made vinager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Last summer I wanted to make apple cider for the first time. I crushed some apples and let it ferment naturally (because yeast is not available here) with an airlock.
Now the problem is I haven't had cider before so I don't know how it's supposed to taste, I know it's not vinager because my mom makes it all the time and I'm sure it's not vinager but it doesn't have any alcohol taste or smell in it, isn't it supposed to be an alcoholic drink?
It tastes like apple juice without the sweetness with tiny bit of vinagery taste.

I would encourage you to get and use a hydrometer. Thats the only real way to tell if you have made any alcohol. Apple juice fresh pressed has a specific gravity somewhere near 1.050. If less than that then your wild yeast did its job.

I would encourage you to get and use a hydrometer. Thats the only real way to tell if you have made any alcohol. Apple juice fresh pressed has a specific gravity somewhere near 1.050. If less than that then your wild yeast did its job.
I looked it up and apparently hydrometers are in different ranges, what range should I get for wines and brewing purposes? I also want to make distilled drinks if that makes any difference.

because yeast is not available here

no one bakes bread there? and if you want a good hydro, someone next door to you asked that too. and i found this one, even bought one for myself, it's compact size comes in handy...

https://www.daraz.pk/products/aquar...a0e.searchlist.list.8.46608d1a9kXkxm&search=1
it measures from 1.000SG->1.060, good enough for most drinks....might be able to pick one up at a pet store with fish tanks also?

if you've got a good gram scale, and a fairly acurate measuring cup, you can just weigh your liquid and divide that number by the mass of 1 cup of water which is 236 g/cm3....it's not spot on because it's tough to measure that acuratly by weight and volume, but it is a ballpark idea...

edit: or for you just get a pretty accurate 1 liter measuring container and weigh it, divide by 1000...that will give you your' 1.0xx stuff...(or 250ml, 500ml...i think you get the jist ;) with sugar it'll weigh more then plain water should)

Last edited:
Back