Have I created a monster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjoystick

Reaction score
Did a cider with:

-15 kg of apples, mostly Ida Reds (sweet)
will press juice, looking for 6-7 litres of juice (?)
- 5 litres of pure apple juice ( http://www.harboe-international.com/en/Products/Juices/Pure Apple Juice.aspx )

400 grams of glucose : ( http://www.homebrewwest.ie/glucose-vinoferm-1-kg-1718-p.asp )

Wyeast 4766 yeast ( http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=62 )

Actually had a slight misfortune with the yeast. I put a package of it but did not start fermenting after 48 hours. Then I read the back of the yeast-package and it told to first break a small plastic thingey inside the bag - I did not do it first time just threw it away lol. Then I put the other yeast like it should be - and now it has fermented five days really lively :D

I figured that the excess yeast would not be problem and thought I would just let it sit at least 2 weeks before bottling. Am I wrong with this?

I tried to measure gravity but could not get a read because the sample was so sugary the meter did not fit in the tube :D

So any ideas how strong this should turn out and is the double yeast a problem?

How could a sugary juice prevent you from measuring your gravity? The meter can float on top of the juice no matter what it is in. I have only used one or two of these smack packs but I think the yeast is in the glass vial and the rest of it in the pouch is the juice for it to grow in as a starter, so you probably just added a bit more nutrients and no more yeast that was in your second package. So how do the Ida Reds taste besides just sweet? WVMJ

The tube I used to measure gravity was so small that when the juice had sugar on it it could not move freely...
The Idared has a white flesh with a firm body, and generally considered to be tart and juicy.

The tube I used to measure gravity was so small that when the juice had sugar on it it could not move freely...
The Idared has a white flesh with a firm body, and generally considered to be tart and juicy.

Get a proper tube, that should help

Apple juice is notoriously low nutrient. Assuming a 12L batch, you're probably sitting around 1.060-1.070(juice~ 1.050 +13 points from the dextrose(400/454)*46ppg/3.11G) between the sugar and the low nutrient I doubt this will be done fermenting in 2 weeks unless you pitched champagne yeast. Even if it were done in 2 weeks it probably wouldn't taste great. You're looking at 7-9% ABV if it ferments dry.
If you stop it around 1.020 you could probably drink it pretty quick but that requires pasteurization or chemical stabilization. Along with checking the gravity regularly.

Assuming it was a Wyeast Smack Pack the yeast is the outer fluid and the nutrient is the one you break.

Yes that was the yeast I used.
Should I stop it with some wine fermenting stopper? Is that what you mean with chemical stabilization?
What do you mean I could drink it pretty quick? :D

Yeah, sulfites and sorbate will slow/halt yeast activity. The smack pack pictured wasn't a specific yeast but a packaging style for most yeasts marketed by Wyeast.
I've never taken the time to stop a cider at 1.020-1.030 before so I don't know how long it takes to get there or if they benefit from aging. A few members here have had luck with multiple cold crashes followed by cold(fridge) storage keeping yeast from fermenting any more.

Not so much, sorbate is added to cleared ciders after the yeast has dropped out, it wont stop an active ferment, the yeast is tolerant of sulfites, if you put enough in it to stop the yeast it will be to much to ever drink it, these additives are for after the cider is finished fermenting. You can finish the ferment, stabalize it and then add sugar and it wont referment but that is different than stopping it. WVMJ

Back