Have any of you mounted granite on top of your keezer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tryin2brew

Reaction score
Hello all....I first would like to thank everyone for posting your keezer builds and sharing info. I am new at this and this site is amazing.... everyone is so helpfull. It makes being a brewing rookie much easier

my question is: Have any of you mounted granite to your keezer lid?

I am building a keezer with a 2X6 collar on top of a GE 7cu ft freezer. I am mounting the collar to the freezer and then re-mounting the lid ( I know it harder to get the kegs in and out but I'm a big guy and dont mind lifting them)

I have a piece of granite that matches my kitchen counter tops and would like to use it. The granite is 1" thick and the keezer lid is about 37" X 21"

I was thinking about ordering another set of hinges from GE to help support the additional weight. Do you think 4 hinges would hold? Or maybe some gas struts?

Thanks in advance for any of your keezer wisdom. I will post some pics of the build soon.

I know there is at least one person that has done this and posted his results. Cant remember off the top of my head what the final result was but the lid was extremely heavy. There are many more that used granite tiles.

I used Heavy Granite Tiles on my coffin keezer. Lets just say... the lid is real real heavy! Im able to lift it myself but i use a piece of heavy wood to hold it up at about a 45-60 degree angle. It does look real nice and puts an awesome finishing touch to it. Heres a link to my build. Crappy quality pics due to using a cell phone.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/coffin-keezer-build-thanks-jester-328711/

I used Heavy Granite Tiles on my coffin keezer. Lets just say... the lid is real real heavy! Im able to lift it myself but i use a piece of heavy wood to hold it up at about a 45-60 degree angle. It does look real nice and puts an awesome finishing touch to it. Heres a link to my build. Crappy quality pics due to using a cell phone.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/coffin-keezer-build-thanks-jester-328711/

Wow!!! That Keezer is amazing. That has to be one of the nicest I have seen on this site.

I'm not planing on doing the coffin style keezer, just one big slab of granite on the top. I may end up just lifting it off when I have to get into the keezer. I'm getting the granite for free... I will weigh it when I pick it up. I think the 4 hinges will work, or maybe 6 would do.

I will post some pics of progress soon...

Or a pulley / counterweight system to help you lift it.......

Unsure on the additional stock type hinges, as the manufacturer probably made provisions for mounting the existing hinges to reinforced areas, whereas the additional ones might not have the same benefit.

Now, a heavy duty, full width, ( piano), hinge, attached with blind fasteners..........

We have a set of those on my buddies keezer that we built at the same time we built mine. His is a bit smaller. However, the lifters don't help raise it. they do however help keep it open. I was thinking about using a set off the rear door of an SUV. To put in the perspective of size... mine is able to fit 7 taps on the tower.. his is only able to fit 4.

And Tryin2brew.. Thank you for the kind words! it means alot!!

Assuming a density of 2.7g/cm^3 for granite, your lid would weigh 75.8 lbs. plus the weight of the original lid. That's quite heavy. Agree with the above post that hydraulic lift supports might be in order.

Show pictures if you end up doing this!

I have solid surface counter top on mine and it weighed right at 100#. When you figure that in to the original lid and 2 pieces of plywood, mine is heavy.
I have two gas struts off a bed top on a truck. They were rated for 80 or 80# a piece. They don't lift the lid but the help keep it open and with the opening and close.

I won't get/lean inside my fridge unless someone is with me to make sure the lid doesn't close with a SLAM.

Back