Have an old pain all N2 tank, can I use it for Beergas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheektronic

Reaction score
I've got a compressed air tank I used when I was into paintball. Looks like this.

Can I use this for a nitrogen draught set up with a stout faucet? I know indeed to get a new regulator, but could I use this bottle?

Last edited by a moderator:
sure if you can find a regulator to fit it :) I haven't looked into it but that looks like a special tank fitting for paintball.

Is yours that small (48 cubic inches)? If so that might be a bit small for a draft system. I picked up a stout faucet a while ago but haven't gotten around to picking up a tank yet. Most of the ones I've seen have been 20-23 cubic feet...48 cubic inches is only 0.0278 cubic feet. Keep in mind beergas is different than CO2. For CO2 only the portion in the headspace of the tank is in a gaseous state; the rest is in a liquid state. The liquid state for beergas requires much higher pressure than your tank is capable of so it's all in a gaseous state. That means you get less milelage out of a beergas tank compared to a CO2 tank of the same volume.

48ci tank is enough to push a 5 gallon keg. I have used mine a few times now. I did buy a fill station for mine so I could fill it from my 40cf tank.

It is handy for making stout portable. As for regulator, if you already have a co2 regulator, all you need is a paintball tank adapter. The threads are the same and the output pressure of those tanks are around 750psi(approx same as co2)

Back