hate to ask, is it infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinkson

Reaction score
So another dreadful "is it infected thread". I brewed a summer saison back in early may, and transferred it to the secondary about a week ago. Since the xfer, it has developed a slight film looking substance on the top with strange milky looking bubbles on top. It smelled weird since after about a week in the primary but i was thinking and hoping it was just because of all the strange spices in a saison. I need the opinion of the public, what do you think??

Here's the image

ForumRunner_20120612_184228.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo, but your description sounds like an infection...especially the milky bubbles. At this point just let it go for a while longer. You'll know soon enough if it is indeed infected. And even if it is, not all is lost...if you like sour, funky beers (like many of us do)

Btw, which yeast strain did you use?

I've had about 100+ batches that started out that way. :p

In my opinion, your best bet is to take a whiff from the airlock. Scent is a fairly accurate indicator of early infection, and you want to watch out for rubbery/sterile, Band-Aid type scents. Anything else (i.e. banana, green apple) indicates normal fermentation at work.

Back