Hate the term "pour"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
Am I the only one that hates that word in terms of beer? At a brewery last weekend I heard it a handful of times and each time it was generic.

"How much is a pour of your IPA"? Do you want a 8oz pour, a 16oz pour or a 22oz pour?

"Are you getting another pour of that Stout, bro"? Yes, he's getting another pint of the Stout!

What if I drink straight out of the bottle, is it still a pour?

Finally the last I knew, the term is a verb and therefore you can not have "a" pour! :rock:

LOL, never heard that term, but yeah I wouldn't like it... like when other States use the term "pop" for soda. Move to New York, you'll never hear anyone say "how much is a pour?" :)

Rev.

zztest5.png

I've heard it a few times. People making nouns out of verbs. I hear it more in reference to wine, as they typically don't top off the glass as with beer. A "six-ounce pour," for example. But with beer most people I know just say "__ ounce glass."

I've heard it a few times. People making nouns out of verbs. I hear it more in reference to wine, as they typically don't top off the glass as with beer. A "six-ounce pour," for example. But with beer most people I know just say "__ ounce glass."

[THREAD DERAIL] Alternatively, people who make verbs out of nouns.
We're going to "summer" in the Hamptons...... ugh... [/THREAD DERAIL]

Then you'll hate this>> there is a bar called the "Pour House". It's the bar area of a Pizza Joint that has a beer wall of 36 self serv taps. It's a really nice place.
FWIW, the word "pour" really doesn't bother me as it relates to beer. I for one do like to know how much i am paying for a beer. The "Pour House" sells by the ounce so each beer shows the amount per ounce.

Then you'll hate this>> there is a bar called the "Pour House". It's the bar area of a Pizza Joint that has a beer wall of 36 self serv taps. It's a really nice place.
FWIW, the word "pour" really doesn't bother me as it relates to beer. I for one do like to know how much i am paying for a beer. The "Pour House" sells by the ounce so each beer shows the amount per ounce.

sounds like a neat business model....

and having a pour...is it really worse than drinking a glass or bottle? because i do pour beers, but i also drink glasses of it....

I pour a cup of coffee, a glass of water, a shot of whiskey, a spoonful of syrup as well as a pint of beer and a glass of wine. I'm failing to see the legitimate ***** of the argument. Its an act of transferring from one vessel to another. I hate when people don't use the language that we have to its capabilities. If we are supposedly intelligent, use your vocabulary - studies show using your brain reduces or delays the onset of dementia.

And thus begins the negative spin for this thread. Break out the pitchforks everyone. He's just lightheartedly complaining about using a verb as a noun.

Rev.

What about the torches! Fire! Fire!

(and i'm so pourly, ;) , educated i had to just look up what a verb and noun was this morning after reading this thread, lol) :tank: for the record, that's me

The worst to my mind is “ask” as a noun: “the client’s ask is that we...”

The worst to my mind is “ask” as a noun: “the client’s ask is that we...”

or other languages that don't put them in the right order....lol....but i just scrolled to see this is in 'general homebrewing discussion', i think it should be general chit-chat instead....

But trying to think of a way to make people at a bar calling a glass of beer a pour, and how it relates to homebrewing. i can't get it back on topic......

And thus begins the negative spin for this thread. Break out the pitchforks everyone. He's just lightheartedly complaining about using a verb as a noun.

Rev.
Nothing negative, I just don't grasp the complaint.

Its like complaining about asking for a pop, coke or soda. Same thing. If the complaint is on transforming a verb to a noun, We transition verbiage regularly. How many people "Google" for answers? Its the transformation of verbiage.

Nothing negative, I just don't grasp the complaint.

Its like complaining about asking for a pop, coke or soda. Same thing. If the complaint is on transforming a verb to a noun, We transition verbiage regularly. How many people "Google" for answers? Its the transformation of verbiage.

Meh. If that is the WORST thing he has to complain about, I'd say he's living a pretty damned good life.

I find it odd that people make the same comments about every beer they drink. "That's smooth" or "That's Solid" doesn't matter what it is, it's always the same.

I find it odd that people make the same comments about every beer they drink. "That's smooth" or "That's Solid" doesn't matter what it is, it's always the same.

I think what’s a little weird about the craft beer movement is that people know they’re supposed to be appreciating aspects of a beer’s flavor, but they don’t really have a solid understanding of what they’re looking for. Most people — even people who normally drink craft beer — don’t seem to quite understand what aspect of the flavor comes from hops, grain, or yeast.

I talked with a guy while he was drinking my very light, dry cream ale recently, but he had misheard that it was a saison, and he was going on about how he loves saison and this really represented the style well.

I think what’s a little weird about the craft beer movement is that people know they’re supposed to be appreciating aspects of a beer’s flavor, but they don’t really have a solid understanding of what they’re looking for. Most people — even people who normally drink craft beer — don’t seem to quite understand what aspect of the flavor comes from hops, grain, or yeast.

I talked with a guy while he was drinking my very light, dry cream ale recently, but he had misheard that it was a saison, and he was going on about how he loves saison and this really represented the style well.

I usually just tell people my beer costs me 92 cents a twelve pack and is/has(proper words are the topic here better cover my bases) 8% alcohol...They usually love it too!

pour
verb
\ˈpȯr \
poured; pouring; pours
Definition of pour
(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1a: to cause to flow in a stream

b: to dispense from a container poured drinks for everyone

2: to supply or produce freely or copiously poured money into the project

3: to give full expression to : VENT poured out his feelings

intransitive verb

1: to move with a continuous flow

2: to rain hard

3: to move or come continuously : STREAM complaints poured in

4: to score easily or freely (as in basketball) —used with in poured in 30 points

pour

noun
Definition of pour (Entry 2 of 2)

1: the action of pouring : STREAM

2a: an instance of pouring or an amount poured

b: a heavy fall of rain : DOWNPOUR

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pour

I feel the same way about people saying crushable in regards to session beers. We all have little things that annoy us.

I’ll have a pint pour or just pour me a handle pour. Usually I prefer a horn pour. I think that whenever one begins to notice a word, it begins to sound funny. Like moist. I love moist places, like caves and steam rooms, the moister the better. Moist you say? I’m all about moist, but lately people shudder when they even think of “moist”.

I usually just tell people my beer costs me 92 cents a twelve pack and is/has(proper words are the topic here better cover my bases) 8% alcohol...They usually love it too!

I’m a cheapskate about brewing too, but overall a lot more interested in flavor than cost per ml of ethanol. I do take some pride in cranking out a 5 gallon keg of pretty excellent best bitter for under $10, though (that’s a lot of “pours”).

I’m a cheapskate about brewing too, but overall a lot more interested in flavor than cost per ml of ethanol. I do take some pride in cranking out a 5 gallon keg of pretty excellent best bitter for under $10, though (that’s a lot of “pours”).

i believe a 5 gal corny will pour about 54 pours...not bad for under 10 bucks...

What black magic are you practicing?

I feel the same way about people saying crushable in regards to session beers. We all have little things that annoy us.
Crushable irritates me for some reason. No explanation, but probably a mis-use/ over-use thing. That 10.5% quad is not session by my standards, but may not be the case for some.

I’m all about moist, but lately people shudder when they even think of “moist”.
Dirty minds? Moist cakes and pies are the best. Moist meat is the only way.

without shipping on a bag of grain i could do it....when i lived in nor.cal. and morebeer was my LHBS, bag of malt pick it up for $32-36, say 8lb's of it, pound of crystal. maybe an ounce of hops. repitch yeast...BAM! cheap beer!

and this before i was using NG so the propane would have been about 3 bucks...maybe 4....(i did eventually learn the sound of a jet engine is just the sound of me spewing unburned propane into the atmosphere, got three batches out of a tank instead of 2...)

costbeer.jpg

Nothing fancy... grain by the sack, hops by the lb., harvested yeast. Bitters are easy to bring in cheaply because they’re maybe 7 lbs of base malt ($7 of Golden Promise) and an ounce or two of hops (maybe $1 or $1.50 worth of Bramling Cross or EKG).

Even if you’re poor you can pore over prices until it’s coming out of your pores, all to reduce that price per pour. (There, back on topic.)

Back