Hash House Harriers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiderata

Reaction score
So, I just heard of this organization, and it looks pretty cool. I like to run, and I like beer!

Anyone participate in this in your local area? Or has anyone else even heard of this?

Friend on mine went to a couple meetings in this area. Came back with the nickname Donkey Schlong. I've always wanted to go sometime, but I should probably get in shape first.

One of the posters here is a member, can't remember who though.

Vermicous said:
Friend on mine went to a couple meetings in this area. Came back with the nickname Donkey Schlong.
Yeah, I'm worried that the group may be too "frat boyish" for my liking. I don't know if they just drink in moderation, or if it's drinking game-type stuff. I've been out of the game for a while now (graduated in 2000), so I wouldn't be able to hang, not that I'd even want to.

Hopefully, the forum member who's participated can shed more light on this.

I have a friend that used to run with them... he says the only problem with the group is that they buy the cheapest microswill they can find since they have to buy alot of beer..

Personally I'll run at the house and then enjoy a homebrew

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
I have a friend that used to run with them... he says the only problem with the group is that they buy the cheapest microswill they can find since they have to buy alot of beer..

Personally I'll run at the house and then enjoy a homebrew

SpamDog
That's something I thought about too, since it wouldn't be realistic to expect their members to be beer snobs (I mean conneisseurs) like us. But, drinking one or two glasses of watered down beer could be tolerable if the social aspect is worth it.

I've run to my local. They now know to get me a glass of water, a banana strawberry smoothie and a Guinness.

I might look into a local hash, now that you mention it.

A few years ago a local hash club in Chandler took some heat for making their course with powdered chalk. People thought it was anthrax.

It probably depends on the club, I imagine each one can be very different in respects to the social and drinking aspect.

So the time i was in a bar having a great time and about 30 of these loud jackballs run in, drink a few quick pitchers, and then leave with nothing but chalk arrows drawn on the ground, leaving my friends and i thinking "what the **** just happened" were these hash people?

interesting.

I've heard one hash after 9/11 did the run with powdered chalk and biohazard suits. Someone might have been pulling my leg, because that had to make the papers.

Never mind, found out that the Chicago HHH club does it annually after Dec, 2002 when the police were called about possible anthrax.

desiderata said:
So, I just heard of this organization, and it looks pretty cool. I like to run, and I like beer!

Anyone participate in this in your local area? Or has anyone else even heard of this?

we have the hashers here in town. I havent hung out with any of them in a while though. If you want, next time I see one ofthem I can get a contact number for you

They like to steal our good ol' fashioned fighter pilot songs and turn them into songs about a bunch of freaks running around aimlessly.

It does have a certain appeal, though. Gimme a PM if you want some lyrics.

It went pretty much as expected. About 20 people with a mix of men and women.

The run was good.
Beer tastes for the group run the gamut. Really cheap bad beer was provided, but it was really cold and that's not such a bad thing when it's hot. At the end, you're in a bar and can drink what you choose.

There is a somewhat juvenile "band camp" element with explicit lyric songs, an obsession with making every remark sexual, etc...

I described the whole thing to SWMBO and she's not real happy about the last part...

I'd like to do it again though.

About how long was the run and what kind of terrain? As much fun as drinking and dick jokes are, the chase is what really got me interested.

Vermicous said:
About how long was the run and what kind of terrain? As much fun as drinking and dick jokes are, the chase is what really got me interested.

In this particular case it was an hour run. How far? No way of telling. I'd say that the crow flies distance was outstripped by about 35%.

Terrain was residential streets alleys, canals, over walls on public property, through parking lots, inside public buildings... a real steeple chase. You're running down alot of dead ends and false trails if yuou are a fast hare. If you plod along you can shortcut or let others do all the legwork.

It's was much more aerobic than my typical 10 min miles when I do 10k training.

You've gotta do several hashes, it seems.
There's also an "initiation" for that. YMMV as to the amount of debauchery, public nudity, mischievousness, drinking, dowsing in beer, embarassment, level of sexual details required, etc.

In this particular case, it seemed minimal, but you can see where a SWMBO might have some unanswerable questions about it.

I know a couple hashers, all through brew clubs. They're 'drinkers with a running problem' hashers.

Dude, gimme a break. I feel sorry for those guys, what with the restitution suit against them. I think the club just needs to use fluorescent chalk from now on. Construction workers do it all the time.

We have a local chapter here too. We were invited to stick around for one of their parties after meeting a couple members in a local pub. It was a lot of fun... interesting bunch.

I worked with a lady who was a member...and now that you mention it....she was really hung up on that sexual humor. Funny at first, but it got old real quick. I'd rather just get drunk and rowdy...all the while incorporating several comedy styles:D

olllllo said:
A few years ago a local hash club in Chandler took some heat for making their course with powdered chalk. People thought it was anthrax.

?!? That's why they call it a "hash" house. The "hash" marks (of chalk) marking the path to follow.

McKBrew said:

I just send the following letter to the mayor and Aldermen of New Haven;

Mr. Mayor, et.al.;

It it not a running club that caused this problem. It is a
hyper-paranoid, CYA at any cost, milk the fear of terror mindset that
caused this problem. If you want to charge someone for the expense of
this fiasco, I would suggest you start within your own offices.

Just like the terrorists you claim to abhor, it takes a person who
sees no problem destroying the life of another for political gain
would pull a publicity stunt like this. You and any others who
participate in this heinous act are despicable and dishonorable.

Disgusted,
pldoolittle

There is no better way to find all of the good places to hang out in foreign countries that the go find the local H3 clubhouse. I just when on a great run with the Angeles City H3 in the Philippines last month.

Back