Has something gone wrong???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made an all grain with 3 of 12 lbms as flaked grain (one lbm was flaked wheat). The mash seemed to go well, 50 minute boil with plug and pellet hops. Cooled to 73 degrees in 10 minutes.

I sanitized my glass carboy with 1-step and hot water. I drained my wort into it and capped with a blow off tube.

Took it inside and added the Cream Ale yeast. After 6 hours the pellet dust settled to the bottom and the beer was clear. The firmentation started and I added wildflower honey (3/4 cup). Everything looked normal for two days. Today my wife tells me the beer looks tan. Sure enough, it is cloudy tan, as if the hops came off the bottom, but tan. The krausen looked like worm holes under a rock. I swirled the carboy and the bubbles really go going for 30 seconds and then returned to the normal pace.

My question is, why is it cloudy and what the hell is going on?

Can you get a picture of it? It sounds like the yeast make have started settling out and then kicked back up again. I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Adding the honey more than likely kickstarted the yeasties and they are working. When you said "The firmentation started and I added wildflower honey" what did you mean by fermentation started? Are you talking about the airlock bubbling. That's not a sign of fermentation, but of "off gassing" venting out an O2 by the production of co2, but that doesn't necessarily mean that fermentation was happening.

NOW it sounds like you have fermentation happening. Hence the tan color.:D

I'm more surprised that it had time to clear before the fermentation started. Fermentation will mix anything in the carboy back into suspension. Once the yeast are done, everything will settle out again.

Well based on what you are telling me, it may be that the pellet hops have re-suspended. It just looks like tan watery mud. Thick too... I'll give it two weeks and transfer it. It has not cleared by then, I will either use insiglass or do the old taste-and-pour out..

I wouldn't dump it either, not this early in the game. I made a Belgian ale once that tasted terrible after a couple of months, then more aging turned it into a better brew.

Back