Has someone ever actually tried this ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Brother

Reaction score
I was just grabbing a beer when I had this crazy idea so... Its about dry hopping, what about if we just take one or two liters of beer of the fermenter and just heat it, then throw the hops so they can leave all that precious oils that give us aroma and finally return it to the fermenter of course leaven the hop trub.

Cheers

Cups have tipped my way, I’m having a hard time following your question. Sounds to me like you want to pull a sample of beer from the fermenter boiling it again and then add it back to the fermenter. I’m not sure how that would work, you’d probably lose the alcohol due to heat but seems like it might work

What your talking about if I understand, is making a concentrated beer/hop tea then adding it back to the rest of the batch. I have to say, I've never heard of it and it's definitely worth trying. This is what homebrewing is about, go try it and let us know!

I'm not saying not to try this, but I would have concerns that would probably get in the way of me trying it.

My biggest concern would be the introduction of oxygen in the removing of and adding back the liter or so of now "hop tea".

Secondly, if you wanted the oils, or effect of a warm hop addition, doing it before or during the cooling stage of all the wort (late boil, flame out, whirlpool or hopstand addition if you will) would be the better option in my opinion. I think there is a place for a whirlpool and a dryhop addition, often times in the same beer.

That said, I'm eager to hear others opinion on the idea, and give you props for thinking outside the box.

One time I put a few hop pellets in a few bottles. It was drinkable but not as good as the ones without the hops. Back to your idea, I’m thinking you don’t want to boil it, you’ll lose the oils. Maybe warm up a little but I think that could be a problem for the yeast if you get too high. Probably better to just add more hops. Brulosphy showed people could tell the difference between 2 oz of dry hops and 4 oz of dry hops. So maybe adding More hops will get more oils without problems. That said, if you try it, please report the results, you never know until you try it. Home brewers are supposed to do things that a commercial enterprise wouldn’t.

I was just grabbing a beer when I had this crazy idea so... Its about dry hopping, what about if we just take one or two liters of beer of the fermenter and just heat it, then throw the hops so they can leave all that precious oils that give us aroma and finally return it to the fermenter of course leaven the hop trub.

Cheers
I tried it using water as the base instead of beer (hop tea). Worked OK. I wouldn't heat the beer much though. 140-50 would be fine id think

Cheers

You would end up with an hop tea made with non alcoholic beer. Just make sure you don't add the hops past 158 F (i.e. between 140 and 158). And filter the hop debris. I use distilled water.

Rather than pull from the fermenter how about reserving the same amount from the boil kettle into a sanitized container and put it in the fridge until you're ready to make the hop tea? Just winging it here.

Back