Has my wild yeast gone to wild?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So I harvested some wild yeast a couple of months back in some wort. I checked all the wort and some of them were keepers based on alcohol content, taste and smell. I meant to plate them and grow up selected colonies. I never got that far. I just left them in the growler. They all grew a nice whitish/yellowish pellicile and then all of a sudden one of the turned all green a gray and blue. I'm a bit new to this. So my question is this: Is that growler a dumper, or might I still be able to harvest some good yeast from it?

Thanks!

Nope, I'd still plate them if you had already segregated them out for ones that fermented well.

They are still in the growler, but there should be something good in there still right?

Yes, there is still all the good in there settled at the bottom. Depending on what is growing at the top (pellicile only or pellicile and other) you could be safe with a direct pitch, but maybe not. That is the whole idea of plating, so you can isolate a single colony of good yeast. If you are not set up with plates and agar, check your local hobby shop for a kids plastic science experiment lab. I can buy 2 plates with agar for $2.99 here in OK from Hobby Lobby. Makes it easy and cheap.

Back