Has my Makgeolli batch gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glendale

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am brewing my 4th batch of Makgeolli and have had luck so far. Its always been good. However, this batch has me wondering if I have somehow contaminated the batch. I'm not sure what to look for but here's what I see happening.

There is something like scum floating all over the surface of the batch as it ferments. I just make it last night and I saw something like scum right away. It isn't any particular colour and the batch smells as it should. Actually everything else seems fine. It's bubbling away like it should. The only thing I did different was this time I am using Wine Makers Yeast, not Bakers Yeast. Any thoughts? Have you ever had a batch go bad? Can I post pictures of the batch to this forum?

Glendale.

We are gonna need more info to possibly help you out. Pictures are absolutely the most helpful, along with the recipe/procedure and more info on yeast being used.
It could be something as simple as the krausen formed by the yeast during fermentation or possibly an infection. Although you typically can't visible see an infection until after fermentation is done.

Cheers

Hey. So here's a picture. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416107151.594191.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416107528.541373.jpg

As I mentioned I'm using a wine yeast for the first time and not a bread yeast like I usually do.

I sterilized everything with solution and boiling water. The next step in Makgeolli brewing is to stir it twice a day. Assuming this is krausen, which after researching it seems to be, should I skim this off?

Looks like active yeast fermentation to me.

My krausen can & does look different based on the type of yeast used, grain bill, and hops in the brew.

There are a lot of different kinds of wine yeast that could give a different look during fermentation.

I have never heard of that style of brew, but judging from the krausen is it mainly a rice beer with no hops?

Thanks for the advice. The Krausen has begun to subside and I feel much better.

Back