Has anyone used this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 30 qt aluminum turkey fryer I bought (along with a 52,000 BTU propane burner) for $60 at Menards. I do 5-gallon all grain batches in it and it works fine as long as I control for boil-overs by watching my heat and using FermCap-S...

I got that one at Target for about $11, on clearance of course. The only issue that I have found is that the rivets for the handles sometimes leak. I just keep my liquid level below that, which comes to right about 6 gallons. I keep thinking that there should be a good way to seal those, but I haven't taken the time to research yet.

I would think you'd be able to seal those up pretty easy with lead free solder and a blow torch.

If you haven't pulled the trigger on a tamale steamer yet, staples has a 40 qt Aluminum kettle (Supera AP-40) for $33, free ship to store. Lid (AP-40C) is another $13. Looks much higher quality than the tamale steamer. Foodservicewarehouse has slightly better pricing but higher shipping costs (for me anyway).

The "heavy duty" version of the kettle (AP-40H) is $45

I have a 10G tamale steamer (Smart-n-Final $20) and a 15G one (SuperKing Market $25). The walls are pretty thin on both and can dent if dropped. The lids will bend too, if you press too hard on your BIAB bag for instance.

The 15G will just baaaarely fit under the Microwave hood on my stovetop, so I can't really use it. Stove probably couldn't get that much liquid up to a boil w/out a heat stick boost anyway :)

Latest posts

Back