Has anyone used palm sugar in a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSecret

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I've been lurking long enough. Time to go ahead and post a quiestion.

Has anyone here used palm sugar before? I'm looking at doing a high gravity, spicy ginger ale and was considering using palm sugar. Interested in anyone else's experience.

I have, it was in a lighter lager and I still didn't get any flavor contribution. For how neutral in flavor it was I would say that table sugar is the cheaper and easier way to go.

I recently did an ale with jaggery (an indian palm sugar). just tasted it and it's still green but seems to be coming along pretty good. The recipe also called for fenugreek (a maple flavored herb) and I can definitely taste it more than I expected. I noticed the jaggery's flavor/body contribution in contrast to table sugar, plus it was fun to use.

I think JOHB briefly discusses date sugar as an ingredient, if that's what you mean.

Ok, Thanks guys. Sounds like it at least isn't going to throw any wierd flavors which was my only real worry. I think I'm going to give it a go and see how it turns out. At the very least it will boost the ABV without killing the body.

Back