Has anyone tried Traquair beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opherman47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across these beers today, never heard of them or seen them.... has anyone tried these and If so does anyone know where i can purchase these ie what state.....

thanks for your input already, i got all this info from Traquair

i know merchant du vin imports alot of belgians, sammy smith, ayinger etc but i have never seen these beers before.... tasting notes? thoughts? where can i buy?

Barley wine-style "Scotch ale" produced in a tiny brewery at Traquair, the oldest inhabited house in Scotland. Traquair is a pure-malt ale that can accompany or replace pure-malt whiskey. The original 18th century recipe was discovered by Peter Maxwell Stuart, 20th Laird of Traquair, in the mid 1960’s.

Traquair was brewing a famous strong ale when Mary Queen of Scots visited in 1566. For 200 years the brewery remained idle until restored in 1965 by the 20th Laird of Traquair.

Deep reddish-golden in color; full, velvet-like body; medium dry and powerful, with an earthy hint of peat character.

Pâté de foie gras and other rich appetizers. Good to soak a Stilton in or to serve with Stilton or other blue cheese. Can accompany fruit and fruit tarts or as a morning pick-me-up with coffee and brunch. Excellent with fruit and cheese or as a winter warmer. Enjoy with a fine cigar. Serve in brandy snifter.

House Ale, Gold Medal: 2005, 2004, 2003, 2000 World Beer Championships; Platinum Medal & World Champion Scotch Ale—1996 & 1997 World Beer Championships
"World classic." —Michael Jackson.

Jacobite Ale · Limited edition ale produced from an ancient recipe with the addition of coriander. Named for the 250th anniversary of the Jacobite Rebellion

Jacobite Ale, Platinum Medal & "Top-rated Strong Ale" 2005, 2004, 2003, 2000 World Beer Championships

Twelve 11.2-ounce bottles.

traquair_bottle.gif

tq_jaco.gif

These are both available in San Diego. I think I like the Jacobite better than the House Ale, but they are both good beers. If you like big, malty beers, this one will work for you.

Side note about Traquair, David Geary of the D.L. Geary Brewing Co. sunk his teeth into brewing there in the 80's.

To bring it back on topic, I have tried the house ale, but like carnevoodoo, I'm in Southern California.

That house ale is good stuff. One of my favorite beers, but at $7 a 11.2 oz bottle or whatever it is, it gets expensive! I've got a clone going right now though so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy this beer without paying the price!

Back