Has anyone tried these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they don't block the opening, they are hung from the stopper i believe. pretty sure they are either 300 or 400 micron mesh.
pretty good solution for dry hopping in a carboy. You'd only buy it once.

they don't block the opening, they are hung from the stopper i believe. pretty sure they are either 300 or 400 micron mesh.
pretty good solution for dry hopping in a carboy. You'd only buy it once.

It says they have rubber stoppers.....I assumed they locked into the neck of the carboy and not hung from the bung.

Hmmm, maybe but that doesn't make sense. arborfab answers emails really quick, maybe contact them and ask

It says they have rubber stoppers.....I assumed they locked into the neck of the carboy and not hung from the bung.

The rubber stoppers seal the ends of the dry hopper. They don't act as a bung for the carboy.

• Remove carboy bung/airlock
  • Place dryhopper containing hops inside carboy
  • Replace carboy bung/airlock

You're overthinking it a touch.

The question to ask yourself is "do I want the hops contained or free floating in the carboy"

If containing the hops is what you want, is this the product for you. That's all.

The rubber stoppers seal the ends of the dry hopper. They don't act as a bung for the carboy.

• Remove carboy bung/airlock
  • Place dryhopper containing hops inside carboy
  • Replace carboy bung/airlock

You're overthinking it a touch.

The question to ask yourself is "do I want the hops contained or free floating in the carboy"

If containing the hops is what you want, is this the product for you. That's all.

Yes, this is a good question.....I just dry hopped my first batch of beer and carefully added them to the carboy careful not to add additional oxidation....some people use hops bags.

That looks like it would work better than a hop bag, at least for removing it when finished. I lost a Better Bottle because I couldn't get the damn hop bag out after racking off my beer. Two oz of hops makes a big fat mess in a hop bag. I jut dump in the hops now and cold crash it in my kegerator before racking.

That looks like it would work better than a hop bag, at least for removing it when finished. I lost a Better Bottle because I couldn't get the damn hop bag out after racking off my beer. Two oz of hops makes a big fat mess in a hop bag. I jut dump in the hops now and cold crash it in my kegerator before racking.

That makes me wonder about the effectiveness of this tube device if one were to put a few ounces of leaf hops (or several oz. of pellets) into it. I'd be concerned that the hop material would expand and compact itself inside the tube, greatly minimizing liquid flow through it.

Though I've never done it myself, I have seen what a couple ounces of leaf hops can do inside a dry hop bag, ballooning into a huge volume.

Let me answer this for you. You want them free floating. Do you want the wonderful hop flavor to diffuse into your beer? Of course you do! Do you think that will happen better with your hops confined in a small, tight space where they cannot even spin around to get a sip of the beer? No. Turn 'em loose!

BETH (Brewers for the Ethical Treatment of Hops)

Let me answer this for you. You want them free floating. Do you want the wonderful hop flavor to diffuse into your beer? Of course you do! Do you think that will happen better with your hops confined in a small, tight space where they cannot even spin around to get a sip of the beer? No. Turn 'em loose!

BETH (Brewers for the Ethical Treatment of Hops)

I have to agree with this....less mess would be nice, but I already have a 1/2" of trub in the bottom of the carboy. I feel what you've said is true.

Back