Has Anyone Tried Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
3082599569_fe3909a5c0.jpg

I was just in my beer store and they had it on the counter. The owner said he just got it in today, and ordered only one bottle.

It was $42.00 a fifth.

From Rogue;

Northwest Harrington, Maier Munich, Klages, and Carastan malts are combined with Free Range Coastal Water in a 100 BBL 3,000 gallon brew system. Distiller’s yeast is then added to the wort, fermented, and then hauled across the parking lot to the Rogue House of Spirits (est. 2006) where its doubledistilled by Master distiller John Couchot in a 150 gallon Vendome copper pot still and then aged in charred American white oak barrels. Each 3,000 gallon batch yields 100 gallons of Dead Guy Whiskey.

Dead Guy Whiskey is created with the same 4 grains used to make Dead Guy Ale, which was created in the early 1990s to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead (November 1st, All Souls Day).
Dead Guy Whiskey has already received critical acclaim – placing 3rd in the World Beverage Competition in Geneva, Switzerland, competing against spirits from 25 different countries. It is now available in limited quantities in limited markets in a 750 ml serigraphed bottle.
Rogue Spirits has been distilling award-winning White, Dark, and Hazelnut Spiced Rums since 2003, producing Dead Guy Whiskey, Vintage Vodka, Spruce Gin, and Pink Gin. Distiller Mel Heim
operates a 50 gallon copper pot still in the historic Pearl district in Portland, Oregon.

In October Rogue will sponsor the 5th Annual Great American
Distillers Festival – a gathering of small distilleries from across
the country who come to Oregon, the Mecca of craft distilling, to
share their products, their passion, and their expertise in handcrafting spirits.
Celebrating five years of distilling, Rogue Spirits creates award
winning, multi-ingredient, small batch varietal spirits, artisan distilled
in traditional hand-crafted copper pot stills. Rogue Spirits have won
44 awards for taste and quality and are available in 13 states and 5
countries. No chemicals, additives or preservatives are used. Visit
our website at WWW.ROGUE.COM for more information.

Has anyone tried it?

Here's a review I found....

I stopped by Rogue Spirits ' rum distillery on Northwest Glisan Street yesterday to taste the latest from the Newport-based booze empire: Dead Guy Whiskey , a new product distilled from the same wort as Rogue's internationally popular Dead Guy Ale (I mean the international bit—Dead Guy was the only Oregon beer I could find in Scotland). The whiskey is a very young, sweet spirit, aged only three months in used bourbon barrels, but the strong malt of the Dead Guy wort carries over, giving the whiskey a more complex flavor than many young spirits. The whiskey is available at Rogue's pub in the Pearl and the Green Dragon in Southeast now, and will be coming to Oregon liquor stores as soon as it's worked its way through the local and national bureaucracies.

Already in stores after its release a month ago is Rogue's pink gin , which is just Rogue's Spruce Gin aged for six months in Pinot noir barrels to lend it some funky fruit. Rogue's Portland distiller, Mel Heim, also let me taste a Pinot noir vodka (made from the same Pinot that filled the barrels for the pink gin) that is still going through the label approval process and likely won't hit the market for a few more months. It is a very smooth clear spirit with light fruity notes.

Mel All these spirits are made at Rogue's Newport distillery. Heim, a 25-year-old Portland native with an English degree from Oregon State University University of Oregon (sorry, Mel!) who started at the distillery in June, spends her time making Rogue's three rums—dark, white and hazelnut spice. She ferments high-molasses cane sugar in steel vats in a room overlooking the Public House and distills the fermented sugar in a pair of stills (named Tin Man and Hank Williams IV) in the same room. She then ages the rum in a barrel room on the third floor.

A nifty note: Heim saves the head—the first, undrinkable distillate that comes off the still before the drinkable "heart"—from her rum-making and sends it to Newport, where it's turned into ethanol to fuel Rogue's catering fleet.

I wonder if the label glows in the dark.

I haven't tried the whisky yet but I bet it's great! I love most of their beers.

:off: They've only had it in for a day and that's all the whisky they have left? :drunk:

I haven't tried the whisky yet but I bet it's great! I love most of their beers.

:off: They've only had it in for a day and that's all the whisky they have left? :drunk:

No, he only ORDERED one he really didn't think anyone would know anything about it...He placed a bottle of dead guy next to it...

I haven't had it before, but it would be cool to try. My bar is stocked with Glenlivet 12 year.

I also wonder about DFH distilled efforts.

apparently rouge is doing spirits, and i am especially interested in rouge dead guy whiskey.......... I live in Nashville TN, anyone from anywhere see this stuff, where can it get bought?

here is a link Realbeer.com Beer Therapy » Blog Archive » Rogue’s Dead Guy Gets in the Whiskey Spirit

i would like to buy some and try it out.....

also i thought you guys would find it interesting as a point of interest.... yadda yadda yadda....

Gee what took you so long, it's been old news on here for like minutes???? :D

You shoulda used the search there noob J/K
(prolly won't even show up yet)

Great minds think alike I guess :mug:

The DFH Blue Hen vodka and Brown Honey rum are just awesome.

Enjoyed the Brown Honey neat with Sam in Rehoboth during a rugby tournament, as a matter of fact. ;)

well crap, open it up and try it tell us if its good

I was SOOOOO tempted...but the little voice inside my head kept saying that 42 bucks was nearly the price of a bag of two row...and I could do more with the two-row..

I'm kinda hoping it doesn't sell and in a couple weeks if I drop by and maybe drop off some homebrews (he know's I brew, I get empty bottle boxes from him) maybe he'll decide it was time for us to taste that as well...

So, I just think I should give everyone a little due diligence.

I've had Dead Guy Whiskey and it was pretty terrible. I don't know about the quoted reviewer saying it was aged 3 months because they bottle we have at my bar reads "proudly ocean aged one month." Lack of aging seems to be the main problem with this whiskey. In a glass, it looks very translucent, almost watery with a harsh alcohol aroma that reveals little or no oak. The taste is harsh, one note, and yet sorta weak. No one whose tried it at the bar has liked it; a common descriptor being something along the lines of "rot-gut tequila." Now, it just won a medal in the "World Spirits Competition" in Geneva, so somebody apparently likes it. I don't.

We waited six-months for this release and I really wanted to like it, but alas.
Rogue's Spruce Gin is effin awesome, however.

Aged one month and 40$ a bottle? Rouge must be gouging off their good name. There is no reason to have such a high cost on a product that requires so little cost in the way of storage and supervised aging.

I have yet to try it.
However, I am addicted to Super Nikka.

If the boys in Newport can distill some Japanese Samurai Style Whiskey, I'll be sure to try it.

I am tempted to buy a barrel, fill it with a mix of Super Nikka and Generic Bourbon for a year, then use it to age beer.

The whiskey would be put to good use... most likely in BBQ sauce as a gifts after bottling a few fifths.

Sounds good I'll have to try that, Rogue's spruce gin is good stuff but that's the only liquor of theirs I've had.

-Archroy

I just had the "John John" the other day at a Rogue pub. Its Dead Guy aged in the Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels. A lot of whiskey flavor, but still balanced and drinkable. I like it much better than the whiskey itself. (I also heard a rumor that they aged the beer in the whiskey barrels longer than the whiskey).

the dead guy whiskey is closer to a scotch since its an all malt product. actually my brewcrew thinks its pretty close to johnnywalker redlabel with a little bit more sweetness and a tang of saltiness.

I am not normally a whiskey drinker at all. I just got back from the brewery and distrillary. We got to try the whole flight for free except for the vodka, it was still in SS Casks waiting for the label to get finished.

The whiskey was pretty easy to drink. I liked it, I still could not drink it straight, but I never drink liquor straight.

As a scotsman i feel i have to chip in here.

That whiskey looks good, i don't know about the distiller but the bottle looks great!

I've visited most of the distilleries across Scotland and drank most of the whisky from all over here and if you're a whisky fan, try and get your hands on a bottle of this Online Liquor Store - Best Quality Liquor Scotch Whisky Brandy at Low Prices

Cragganmore 12 year old single malt. Amazing!

Drink straight, obviously, with maybe one ice cube in or a teaspoon of water.

I have a bottle sitting here that a friend was kind enough to get for me while at the brewery/distillery. It is amazing!! I have to say as a brewer, spirits are not my specialty.. However I have had many whiskeys and this is by far one of the smoothest/ best I have had. I was really surprised to learn it was only aged 1month!!!! It's better IMHO than some of the most aged glenfidich I have had, and I'm an Irishman/scottsman!!

I highly recomend this to anyone that enjoys fine whiskey or just wants to try something new. Pm me if you have any questions on flavor notes or anything else.

I have not had the whiskey yet but someone said they had the Spruce Gin. The Spruce is good but I tried the Pink Gin. It's aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels to give it the pink color and also a fruity taste. I noticed it smooths it out a lot so its not so piny. It's defenitly is a little fruitier. Best gin I have ever had. Ever!

It's at the Green Dragon, eh? I may just have to pop in and have a sip of it then. You guys should go down and try it.... oh. oh yea. You can't. Sorry about that :D

I have not had the whiskey yet but someone said they had the Spruce Gin. The Spruce is good but I tried the Pink Gin. It's aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels to give it the pink color and also a fruity taste. I noticed it smooths it out a lot so its not so piny. It's defenitly is a little fruitier. Best gin I have ever had. Ever!

It's at the Green Dragon, eh? I may just have to pop in and have a sip of it then. You guys should go down and try it.... oh. oh yea. You can't. Sorry about that :D

Damn you Pacnorthwesters...Both of you. :D

(Have a few for me) :mug:

I like the whisky, love the gin, have not tried the rum.

I swear I can taste the dead guy mash...but its probably just in my head. Good marketing!

Back