Has anyone made this. Sounds amazing..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Saturday will be my first mead and I figured to go with a simple traditional semi-sweet.

I make one very close. Anise sounds interesting! I love the Cysers with the spices. They are even better in the winter when warmed and with lots of friends! Wasail!

I've never made it, but it looks like a good recipe. I like to use whole spices rather than ground, but that's personal preference.

One note: if you do decide to stabilize and back-sweeten, use potassium metabisulphite in addition to the potassium sorbate, as both together works better than either by itself.

flowerysong said:
I've never made it, but it looks like a good recipe. I like to use whole spices rather than ground, but that's personal preference.

One note: if you do decide to stabilize and back-sweeten, use potassium metabisulphite in addition to the potassium sorbate, as both together works better than either by itself.

Tell me more about back-sweetening. My blueberry mel (using sweet yeast) ended up very bitter. Probably too many tannins from the blueberry skins (which I blended, then dumped into the primary), and a FG below 1.000

I would like to bring a honey flavor back to the mead.

you can always try bread yeast to make sure you get a good sweetness to your meads. I always use bread yeast for any sweet mead I'm doing works very well. :)

Safale-s33 is the old Edme strain, and I used it a lot to get sweet meads. it'll hit 12% ABV, so if you go with 3lbs honey/gallon of must, it should come out sweet, but plenty strong.

I even had it come out sparkling once, but lots of sediment in the bottle...not really planned...I wasn't as 'wise' about brewing back then.

still it tasted like heaven...still have a few bottles left.

Latest posts

Back