Has anyone else used neomexicanus hops much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkerton

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has used neomexicanus hops in their recent brews, and what results you get.
I’ve been using HBC 472 in all of my recent iterations of one recipe, mixed with other more “fruity” hops in moderation / dry hopping, in various stages of the boil (first wort, near-end of the boil and flameout)
It is described as having a coconut / bourbon aspect, as well as “woody” and earthy.
I can kind of get slight bourbon and coconut notes, but it is really subtle.
The most prominent thread that connects all of the brews is a noticeable “dank” character, though. Have you all experienced that?
I know it is a cousin of Medusa, which I have also experimented with, and that is known to be a hands-down dank explosion, which I’ve totally experienced.
It’s not that I mind the dank aspect, it’s just that nobody describes HBC 472 as having this, and I was hoping to pull more of the complexity of a bourbon / woody flavor.

Back