Has anyone brewed with ECY45 BugFarm 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifosichris

Reaction score
I tried to find some information or guidance on this strain but seem to be striking out. I recently received some and was intrigued by the description on the ECY site:

"ECY45 BugFarm 2 : A complex blend of yeasts and bacteria to heighten citrusy-sour beers. Contains Kveik Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, Lachancea thermotolerans (Origin: grapes), and Lactobacillus."

I was most curious about the mention on Kveik. The bottle of it recommends a fermentation temp range of 60-74* which wouldn't fall in line with the higher recommended temps of most Kveik yeast.

I was thinking of copitching this with Hornindal into a saison type base with some late addition citra and bottling once it was at terminal and letting the other bugs/bacteria do their thing in the bottle.

Does anyone have any experience with this yeast?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t have any experience with this yeast but all the stuff that I’ve used from ECY has been great.

I’d guess that the yeast may already be Hornindal considering the description so maybe skip the co-pitch since a little stress on those Types of yeast are favorable.

I wouldn’t put any hops in the boil because the Lacto is going to do the bulk of the souring. Taste it every day until it is sour enough or almost sour enough for you and then addsome dry hopped citra or a hop tea to halt the Lacto. The Lachancea will also make a little of the sour but will stop on its own before the Lacto will.

Be really careful with bottling young because you’ll have no idea how low that Brett can go.

Keep us updated on your experience with that yeast blend!

Thanks for the reply! Good call on the lacto & hops. I hadn't thought of that. I will keep you guys updated once i brew in the next few weeks

I have it in one of my soleras - it indeed got fairly zesty citrus and earthy brett, and a clean lactic tang. It gave a really nice, bright blacklime flavor which is more of an interaction with the aged hops + late cascade I used. I never got to see how the kveik did on its own because I added it in secondary in a barrel. The lacto must have had a decent hop tolerance (5+) because it is a fairly sour barrel now.

Back