Has anyone brewed BYO London Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have that magazine but is that BYO's Fuller's London Porter clone? If so, I have one that is very close and I am brewing it right now. Mine is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/poppys-london-porter-377058/

Today I made a couple minor changes. I am using Crisp Brown Malt and Thomas Fawcett crystal 70-80. I am slightly changing the hops too, 1.5 ounce at 60 minutes and 1 ounce at 30 minutes, still using Fuggle. Wyeast 1968 works very well in this one.

I have made this several times, I keep tweaking it, but it is always a favorite with anyone who tries it. This is great with BBQ or steak dinner or just an evening sipping beer. I find it better not straight out of the fridge but allowed to warm up for 10 minutes or so...still cool but not fridge cold.

Tony

I also forgot to mention that my grain is mashed/steeped at 156. Today I also added 4 ounces of flaked oats. This is to try to increase mouth-feel but not enough to make it an oatmeal porter/stout.

Tony

I brewed it today. As noted above it uses 1968. The recipe called for a mash temp of 153 and I hit it. Like yours it used fuggles about 24 ibu. The gravity sample tasted good. Hoping to have it ready for New Years.

How did it come out? I have the ingredients ready going to brew this Sunday. My homebrew store was out of 1968 so I am using white labs 002, I have read it is the same thing. Very chunky yeast, when I put it into my flask on the stir plate it was a big glob swirling around for a while until it finally dissolved. I am wondering, after my starter is done tonight and I put it in the fridge, then on brew day when I decant, how am I going to get the yeast off the bottom of the flask? It is like cement!

How did it come out? I have the ingredients ready going to brew this Sunday. My homebrew store was out of 1968 so I am using white labs 002, I have read it is the same thing. Very chunky yeast, when I put it into my flask on the stir plate it was a big glob swirling around for a while until it finally dissolved. I am wondering, after my starter is done tonight and I put it in the fridge, then on brew day when I decant, how am I going to get the yeast off the bottom of the flask? It is like cement!

Turned out great. Kicked the keg quick on that one.

Back