Has anybody seen these? (carb tabs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i was over at northern brewer and ran across these

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...prime-dose-carbonation-tablets-200-count.html

Has anybody used these? It says will carbonate when yeast can no longer ferment. So i was wondering will these work to carbonate stabilized back sweeted cider. Is there finally a way without fancy kegging or pasteurization( which for some reason I've been to afraid to do)... thoughts comments or experience with these...

Seems like an expensive way to prime. I would also think that this would eat up any residual sugar. My guess is that it's just strong yeast and sugar in a capsule. Would work for beer, just not for the semi sweets I make.

I think it depends on what you used to back-sweeten. I think that if there is yeast here and you added it to your back-sweetened cider you'd probably start fermentation again and create bottle bombs.

I keg my cider. I agree on the pasteurization process. I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like it would work, but I'd be concerned about missing target carbonation level and having things go horribly wrong during the process.

Well heck...your probably right.They may just be yeast and sugar in a capsule. I was hoping they were some how like liquid activated co2 or something..but of course if that was possiable i sure it would have been on the market years ago

Since they claim it will cure flat beer due to yeast problems, it obviously contains yeast and sugar. They don't mention the strain of yeast, so who knows what to expect. Hopefully it's not a champagne or wine yeast since this is being marketed to beer brewers.

Back