Harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
So I read this article:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.0

And it made sense why you wouldn't want to wash the yeast. Well I tried it today when I bottled my milk stout. I used Dannys favorite yeast from wyeast and transfered it with about 1/2 gallon of extra beer into a container for the yeast to separate and now I can't tell what layers are what. Can you guys help me identity which part I need to transfer over to my mason jars? Thanks!

20150113_184608.jpg

I think you want the middle layer.

The top layer is beer and the bottom layer is hop solids etc. The middle layer is yeast in suspension....I think.

In the future, try harvesting yeast from the starter. Its much easier and you get fresh yeast that havent been exposed to hops and stress from a higher OG fermentation

In the future, try harvesting yeast from the starter. Its much easier and you get fresh yeast that havent been exposed to hops and stress from a higher OG fermentation

Do this. I learned from the Brulosopher. Google his name and look up Harvesting Yeast on his website. I'll never look back.

Back