Harvesting yeast from small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_brewer2014

Reaction score
Still new to brewing and I was wondering if it is possible to get enough viable yeast from a one gallon batch. I
made a small batch and would like to reuse the yeast if possible. I see people doing it with 5 gallon batches but not sure if it is possible from a one gallon batch.

Having never done a batch less than 5G, I have no personal experience, but I don't see why not. The principle still applies. I typically collect 3 qts. slurry from a 5G batch, and use either 1 or 2 depending on the OG of my next batch. If you collect say 1 pint of slurry from a 1G batch, use a pitch calculator to figure out how much to use, but it probably will be somewhere around 2/3 cup.

as stated above I don't see why you wouldn't be able to wash the yeast from your 1 gallon batch and reuse it in another beer. I say go for it.

That's basically what I've been doing.
Takes some planning ahead.

1) Create a 750ml starter
2) Divide it in half after completion. Storing half, pitching the other half in a 1G batch
3) Schedule to brew the full batch either right at post fermentation of the 1G (like when you siphon to secondary)
or
4) Give the 1G plenty of time and brew the full batch in 3-4 weeks.

Splitting the starter gives me clean yeast in storage.
1G slurry makes what I feel is the perfect pitch quantity for 5G.

I do not rinse the 1G slurry. Just use some new wort to loosen it up and pour it in.

Still abide by the practice of going from lighter to heavier gravities and color.

'da Kid

Back