harvesting yeast from bottles!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Well hello there hop heads...just thought I would share my experience with you followed by a few questions...I saw a few posts sprinkled in this site here and there about harvesting yeast, I thought I would give it a try as my lhbs does not carry liquid yeast...ok..1st attempt ,I took 3 bottles of my favorite Bells product (Amber ale) poured off into my glass and left about 1/2 to 3/4 liquid in glass..gave it a swirl and poured into my Erlymeyer flask (spelling) I had 16 oz of 1.02 starter wort in my flask i guess i dident notice the leftover yeast in bottle on bottom after the fact...after 2 days @ 70 degrees it was...well......just ok, a few bubbles but not much, I just wasent feeling warm and fuzzy about it....down the drain it went...next appempt same thing only this time ,after I poured off the brew ,I poured about 3 oz of starter in my bottle, on top of what I left in bottle...gave it a good swirl and into my flask i did this with 3 bottles...so now after 2 days of 1.02 ahhhh thats better...a big ol head came up (insert head jokes here)..and it smelled great like a fresh brew...so I left it for 3 days giving a good swirl every time I walked by, ok...3 days with 1.02, 3 days with 1.030 and about 2 days with 1.04, between these steps it was in the refridgerator over night and decanted..so my plan now is to put this on my srtir plate with 1.5 L of 1.05 for 24 hrs...decant then pitch into a batch of rye pale ale 5 gallons(about 1.06 or 1.055)....so now the question how much yeast do i have, i dont have a microscope and I dont think i can count to a billion let alone 150 billion...will this be enough?...too much ?..I am a total rookie at the harvesting thing...

ok ,i posted that without my pic...lets see if I can do it..i think i can...i think i can..i think i can

107_1978.jpg

107_1979.jpg

107_1980.jpg

Latest posts

Back