Harvesting yeast from a conical vs letting beer sit on cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZZ

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got a couple conicals in and am doing my first 10 gallon batch in one of them. Ive done a bunch of reading on dumping trub and harvesting yeast, but I havent seen anyone talk about the detriment of taking the yeast out early.

The beer is BM's centennial blonde 1.041 OG. I pumped my wort into the conical, let it set overnight, dumped the trub, then pitched the yeast. Im now 7 days in and fermentation has stopped completely. I need to dry hop today, but want to harvest yeast first so as not to have hop sediment in my yeast (making washing yeast easier). I am going to let the beer set for another week (14 days total primary). However, I always read and have experienced first hand the necessity of letting the beer sit on the yeast for a bit longer to clean up after themselves. If I dump the yeast out now, then dry hop, and let it all set another 7 days... am I stopping the yeast from cleaning up after themselves over the course of the next week?

Im guessing theres still enough yeast in suspension to help clean up the beer, but wanted to check with the forum first.

If you ferment in conicals, how are you doing it?

Just taste it. How long it has to sit is entirely dependent on your brewing conditions. If you pitched at proper levels, got reasonable O2 in the wort, and fermented at a proper temp, you should have little to nothing for the yeast to "clean up". If you had less than ideal fermentation conditions and did produce considerable off flavors, then leave the beer on the yeast.

Harvesting yeast from the bottom shouldn't be an issue, since there should be yeast still in suspension. Those are the ones "cleaning up" anyway

Back