Harvesting Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couevas

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS today to buy some Pacman for next weekend. Unfortunately they were sold out. So I decided to try my hand at bottle harvesting with the stirplate I built last night. I am harvesting from two bottles of Rogue, a Shakespeare Stout and a limited edition Captain Sig's Deadliest Ale (which was damn tasty). Some pics to follow. Wish me luck!

IMG_3363.JPG

The sitrplate and 2000 mL flask

Here is a pic of the bottles from which I am harvesting....
IMG_3364.JPG

Notice the label with tv's "Deadliest Catch" favorite crab boat captain (whose home port is right here in Seattle).

Here is the whole setup after pitching. Send good karma this way!!!
IMG_3365.JPG

On the left is my hand-made stein from a little town in Germany on the Rhine River called St. Goar. That was an amazing trip!!!

Thanks McK!!

It looks like people are about 50% successful in bottle harvesting Pacman.

BTW, I live in Bothell. I know it isn't very close to Silverdale, but we should get together sometime to brew or share brews. Are you a member of any of the local groups?

SUCCESS!!!!
The yeasties are awake and munching away. I plan on stepping this up over the next week and brewing with it Friday. Then I will wash it and can it. YES!
IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

The picture is kinda deceiving. I turned the plate off for a few hours to see what settled out (if I could see any more yeast settling out). There definitely was and the pic you see is after I turned it back on ran it for a while. It is foaming more because of the CO2 that was dissolved during the "rest."

That was a few hours ago though, and the foam/krauzen is still growing.

Looks great! I had the same luck with Rogue as well as Hoegarden. The Hoegarden yeast makes for a damned good Wit!

Thanks McK!!

It looks like people are about 50% successful in bottle harvesting Pacman.

BTW, I live in Bothell. I know it isn't very close to Silverdale, but we should get together sometime to brew or share brews. Are you a member of any of the local groups?

On the forum I'm in the Pacific Northwest Brewers group. I'd look forward to the chance to meet up sometime, I don't get out much, but if I do I'll give you a heads up. I'll probably be able to make it to Naked City one of the first weekends in April, I've been trying to get over their for months.

Glad the Pacman worked for you. I tried it with Double Dead Guy and didn't have any luck.

On the forum I'm in the Pacific Northwest Brewers group. I'd look forward to the chance to meet up sometime, I don't get out much, but if I do I'll give you a heads up. I'll probably be able to make it to Naked City one of the first weekends in April, I've been trying to get over their for months.

Glad the Pacman worked for you. I tried it with Double Dead Guy and didn't have any luck.

Naked City would be cool. Haven't been there yet. I just moved here in October. I am still learning my way around. I have found Pike Street Beer and Wine and it is a pretty d@mn cool store!

I think the poor luck with the dead guy is pretty standard. It may be force carbed. I think others have spoke on this before. It seems the Shakespeare is usually a good candidate. I used it and a bottle of the new "Deadliest."

Back