harvesting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftyRighty

Reaction score
yeah, I know, a bit early to be worrying about harvesting my hops, but I have a question.

This is the 2nd year of my hops, and they're doing great - the Cascade & Mt Hood vines are up to the top of my trellis, about 18 feet, and the Goldings at 12 ft. Lots of hop cones setting on. The way my trellis' are built, the only way I can harvest the hops at the top of the vines will be to drop my trellis' to the ground. I don't have a step ladder that tall, and the trellis is not stout enough to lean a straight ladder against. Dropping the trellis down will be relatively easy, as well as re-assemble next spring..

So, this means I'll have to harvest all the hops at one time. Is this the way it's normally done? Do all hop cones 'ripen' at the same time, or do I just take what I can get and not worry that some are not fully ripened.

I guess I could lay the trellis down, propped up so the vines are off the ground, then pick the cones as they finish ripening.
I need some recommendations from those with experience. thanks!

you can see the hops trellis' in the background.

that's my barley crop - planted in mid-March, near 3+ ft tall now, the barley spikes (grains) are just now starting break/show. should be harvesting in a month+. The barley was planted in 4-5 ft wide patches, with an 18-inch path between. Path is almost gone now, but will still help at harvest time.

Photo05131856.jpg

The usual practice is to harvest the whole plant in one shot.

That's what I've done for five years and frankly the thought of doing otherwise has no appeal to me...

Cheers!

I harvest mine all at once. Cut it down and hand pick the cones.

Not all varieities are going to have the same optimal harvest time. Are they all on different trellises? If so, the yes, lowering the pole will work. That's how it was done here in WI in the 1800s, men lowered the poles so women and children could harvest. +1 to harvesting the hole plant at one time though

Definitely harvest all of it at the same time. Use the squish test, smell test, and then wait a week. I have usually harvested around labor day, and I plan on the same again this year. I'll throw it in the oast for 2-3 days then vacuum seal for the freezer.

thanks for the response and advise - so, I'll be harvesting all at once.

Now the bad news, a couple nights ago, had thunderstorms, 2 1/2 inches of rain and high winds. About 4 to 7 feet of the end of each row of my barley got flattened by the wind, tried to stand them back up yesterday but too wet. This morning, about half stood back up on their own. I will try to set tall stakes and string to prop up, but many are already lodging over - probably can"t correct.

Back