Harvesting Conan...first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
Just started my first attempt at yeast harvesting Friday since a buddy hooked me up with some Heady. Now that it has been a few days I have some questions.

When I got home today there were three or four new white specks floating on the surface. I shook the flask and they feel to the bottom and have stayed there. Is this yeast or am I growing something else?

Over the past 24 hours the foam that forms when I swirl the flask has increased greatly. Does this mean it is working? If I remember correctly this is CO2 from the yeast coming out if solution, right?

If it is indeed working, should I go ahead and step it up our wait until this step finishes? I started with two cups of 1.04 wort. What size should I step up to?

I believe I'm going to drink another can tomorrow night. Would it hurt/help if I added the yeast from that can to my existing batch?

Thanks for any input/advice!

Back