Harvested DuPont won't flocc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breckenridge

Lurker
Reaction score

Well well well, what have we here?

It's not WLP007, that's just an old marking.

This is DuPont yeast harvested from a bottle of Vielle Provision, stepped up three times in the original bottle with small volumes (~10-->50-->150 mL) of low gravity (~1.020) starter, then put on a stir plate with ~600mL 1.038 starter. Stayed on the stir plate for about 3 days, and at this point has been in the fridge for about the same amount of time. Sterile technique maintained as best I could in my kitchen - lips of vessels flamed, liberal use of StarSan, etc.

I didn't take an FG reading before attempting to cold crash, I just now realize.

Can't really tell from this photo, but there is a *slight* stratification of 5mm cleared wort at top, and *no* solid layer of yeast at the bottom.

Anybody else seen this kind of funny suspension before? I haven't noticed this kind of behavior when I've used WLP565 before, but it's possible I just didn't notice it in my converted chest freezer FC. Any tips on what to do?

Barring any better ideas, I think my plan is to take a gravity reading and throw it back on the stir plate at room temp (~68F in the house) for a few more days and try it again.

Checked gravity, mid 1.020s. Should've known with Dupont. Back on the stipulate in a warm-ish kitchen for several more days.

Back