Harsh taste after kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I brewed an APA recently and it tasted phenomenal when I sampled it prior to carbonating in the keg. However it has taken on a kind of harsh taste. Anyone have any ideas what this could be from? Overcarbing?

If it were astringency, wouldn't I have tasted that when I sampled it after fermentation?

Dirty Kegs/lines?

EDIT: the beer is 6 weeks old. Fermented for 3 and in keg for three.

I had the same thing happen with a couple brews; changed the beer and the gas line, cleaned all the fittings...problem solved.

is it possible that it's fusel alcohol? I've noticed this flavor in several brews and after looking at fusel causes, underpitching and lack of aeration can be responsible. I feel like that could be something that happened in this brew in particular. Can anyone give a good description of what fusels taste like?

Sounds like it could be over-carbing. What's it carbed at right now? (psi and average temp?) That would determine the volumes of CO2 and whether it's too much for the style. You can always dial it down and continue to "burp" the keg and after a few days of this bring it down to a lower psi which might yield the results you're looking for. I would suggest trying this out for size and see where you get to. It's always easier to dial up the psi as needed, than to bring it back down again. Too much carbing can certainly lend a harsh sensation / almost bitterness (for lack of a better descriptor) sensation.

Back