Harsh Hop Bitterness/Aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I've noticed in 2-3 of my last hoppier ales they've had a fairly astringent/harsh bitterness in the aftertaste. Any idea what this could be attributed to?

I tried filtering one and it was just as bad as beforehand. Aging hasn't seemed to help either (one is about 6 months old).

A recipe would definitely help, but here are some general pointers:

- Use low co-humolone hops like Magnum and Horizon for bittering
- Make sure you know your water profile and filter/treat it accordingly. Harsh bitterness can come from overuse of gypsum.
- You can extract tannins from the vegetable matter in hops when you do large additions. Try using T-45 pellets instead of T-90 or whole hops.

Does late hoppping help? Getting the majority of your IBUs at 45 minutes instead of 60 or 90?

Do you have any idea how much Sulfate you have in the water?

Agreed on water. If you haven't had your water tested I would send a sample to ward lab and find out. I have good tasting water, but when I got my test results it made perfect sense why my IPA's were so harsh they were almost undrinkable. My guess is it is your water.

Dog House Brew,

What did you do to your water to counter the sulfite issue?
I think this maybe the issue I am having recently...

Redbeard5289
Btw, sorry if this seems like a hijacking of the thread...

Dog House Brew,

What did you do to your water to counter the sulfite issue?
I think this maybe the issue I am having recently...

Redbeard5289
Btw, sorry if this seems like a hijacking of the thread...

I've been brewing proven recipes from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles and a couple other Brewing Network Recipes. I'm wondering if it could be the water profile. I have had my water tested by Ward Labs and it's very very soft - hardly any mineral content.

So I've been adding around 100ppm of Gypsum (and other salts) to get the calcium content up. I may try backing off on the Gypsum for my next batch to see what happens.

Back