Harry Potter Kegerator Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
After 2+ years of wonderful service, my chest freezer kegerator has stopped getting cold :(
Following internet advice, I tested the resistance on the compressor, and the resistance seemed within the acceptable range, so I replaced the starter & overload. Started it up again, and still no love.

Normally, I'd just buy a new chest freezer, as the cost to replace the compressor is more than the cost of a new chest freezer. However, my situation is somewhat unique, as the kegerator is installed in a custom built space under a staircase, and there is only enough room for a precise match to the existing Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft freezer, and they don't make them anymore.

main.php

main.php

The way I see it, I have 3 options:

1 - Find another chest freezer with dimensions 34"W x 34"H x 24" deep
The 34" width is the biggest issue. I chose this freezer as it was the only one which could into the width of the space at the time.

2 - Replace the compressor for $500+. Ouch!

3 - Buy a new chest freezer and install it in the basement, running the lines up to the first floor.

I'm leaning towards option #3 right now, and would like some feedback about the challenges of running lines 8 vertical feet through heated space.

you should be able to find a similar sized freezer. they're built off of form factors so shopping around for a similar cuft freezer should get you something with similar dimensions.

That's an awesome build! I just have to ask, how much breathing room is there inside that closet? Was the freezer able to exhaust heat effectively? Maybe that's why it died after only a couple years?

I agree that replacing the freezer would be the best option.

To run the lines up 8 vertical feet, you'll most likely have to go with some type of chilled trunk line. You can buy them premade or bundle them yourself, but the glycol chilling system is going to be very expensive. You can try recirculating salt water instead of glycol, pumping from a reservoir in a freezer or fridge. All that trunk line and a proper glycol system will easily cost you more than the $500 to replace the compressor.

Looking at this awesome thread, there are some 7 cu foot chest freezers that are 37 inches wide. Could you really not fit 3 more inches in there? It looks like there's maybe an extra 1.5 inches on the side of that platform, if there's also an extra 1.5 inches on the other side you could be good...

Or if you can fit something a little deeper (I see some extra space on that side of the platform as well), the Frigidaire 12.9cf LFCH13M2MW is 29.5 inches deep. OK, I'll stop now.

Looking at this awesome thread, there are some 7 cu foot chest freezers that are 37 inches wide. Could you really not fit 3 more inches in there? It looks like there's maybe an extra 1.5 inches on the side of that platform, if there's also an extra 1.5 inches on the other side you could be good...
it looks like his problem is the sliding function of his setup. if he changed dimensions he would have to rebuild some of the structure he already has. way easier to just buy the same fridge.

it looks like his problem is the sliding function of his setup. if he changed dimensions he would have to rebuild some of the structure he already has. way easier to just buy the same fridge.

Like I said (in the post you quoted), it looks like there's a tiny bit of extra room on the platform that slides in and out. And I was asking how much extra room that was, if it's a couple inches on each side there are a few other fridges that could work without modifying anything else.

If it was that easy for OP to buy the same fridge, he wouldn't be posting asking for advice :p

I may be able to fit a few more inches into the depth, and height is flexible with the collar.
In the width, I have about 1.5" of play, though this area of the house it out of plumb by about 3/8" over the course of 3 feet, so it may be a little less than 1.5". I can't imagine a fridge wider than 35" fitting in there.

I suspect the freezer died from when we had cellulose blown in this fall, and it got dense packed in insulation for 3 days. The space is vented to the house, so the ambient temp doesn't get hot in there.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'll keep looking at freezers.

I went out in search of a chest freezer this weekend, and the results have led me in a new direction.

My dead freezer has the heat transfer lines on the outside. All the new freezers I looked at keep them internal to the freezer, so they all lose about 2" in interior depth. None of the freezers I looked at with 9 cubic feet or less had more than 16" interior depth, meaning corny kegs will need to be staggered, and you can't fit in very many compared to the deeper, older design. This also explains why they've all become wider to keep the same volume.

Now I'm looking at using the walk-in cooler in the basement, which is currently ambient, and could be actively cooled. The lines to the taps would need to be 15' long minimum. Instead of using an expensive gycol line cooler, I'm looking at rigging up a jockey box style setup in a chest freezer in the under stairs space. I still need to work out how much extra pressure I'll need to pump the beer 15' plus 5-6' elevation.

Back