Hard Seltzer vs Hard Sparkling Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckbergman

Reaction score
I know the difference is probably semantic, but I'm interested in making a hard flavored sparkling water. Not really a hard naturally carbonated mineral water (ala Perrier), but something along the lines of the Sparkling Ice brand of flavored waters.

Maybe it is just my tastebuds, but I can't stand the "carbonated" flavor of seltzer water, so not really a fan of most seltzers. Honestly haven't tried many hard seltzers so I can't rate them at this time. But I really enjoy Sparkling Ice brand and would like to make a hard homebrew variation.

Yes, I know that I can just add vodka to Sparkling Ice, but wanting to make my own. Do you think it is amount of carbonation that is the key? Maybe a less carbonated hard flavored water would have less of that "CO2" flavor that you get from a seltzer.

I've been making homebrew for 10 years, but never tackled a hard seltzer. Input appreciated.

Hard seltzers are super easy to brew. And if you don't like the taste of carbonation, just don't carbonate it. Or is it the minerals in the seltzer you don't like? Whatever it is, just eliminate it. You don't have to put a bunch of salts in your water for minerality.

To brew one, just put about 1lb (2.2kg) sugar per gallon (3.8L) of water into whatever volume you want to make. Also put in a complete nutrient to allow fermentation to complete. I've personally found a combination of Yeastex and Superfood works really well. Heat/boil it to pasteurize. Chill and pitch a good amount of healthy yeast. A dry wine yeast, cider yeast, or saison yeast will all work well.

It should finish to 1.000 or less and be about 6%ABV if you're using the above procedure. Change the sugar for whatever ABV you want.

Once it's finished, carbonate it if you want, and add whatever flavorings you'd like however you want to do it. It can be by the glass or flavoring the whole keg.

Hope this helps.

I've been making hard seltzer or "water" for about a year now. It takes a bit of trial and error to find the Yeast and Nutrient combos that work for you.
The key notes from me are
  • Seltzer is so much easier to make than beer 😋
  • .05 yeast stalls (every time) and leaves you with a sweet instead of dry seltzer flavor with very low alcohol content.
  • Many mineral kits are a scam and don't have the right combinations 😒
  • Tap water minerals were a necessity before I found the right mineral kit
  • I liked the citrus-y taste of plain hard seltzer with tap water, minerals from my husband's beer making blend, and EC yeast but it smells like sulphur.
  • I am still searching for the right flavor brands. Most just taste like fake (sugar-free) candy
If you want an easy to brew mix that requires no babysitting use distilled water and BrewWater (yeast and mineral packet combo from BrewChatter).
No heating pad required. No cooling recirculating water tank. No funky Sulphur smell. Best of all, no stalling. It's completed in approximately 1 week at a final gravity of .09. The clear natural seltzer flavor does require flavorings to be added, hence my new endeavor. I, like you, do not enjoy the taste of seltzer water... never have.
I've just been using squeezable liquid water flavor additives like Mio, Poweraid, Fit&Active, and Great Value from the grocery store after my failed attempt at locating concentrated flavorings that I like. I squeeze a little per glass. I also quite enjoy seltzer poured over freshly squished fruits like lime, lemon, and raspberries.
Here is the link to the super easy and effective yeast/mineral pack combo with recipe.
BrewWater -from BrewChatter

Let me know if you have success with any brand of flavors.. I'm trying bubly, soda stream, or actual brand name soda flavorings next.. Enjoy!

I tried brewing one and it stalled so I just mixed RO water and Everclear to the desired ABV. IIRC it was 0.25 gallons of Everclear to 4.75 gallons of water but would depend on the proof of the Everclear. Could use Vodka as well. We keep several of the flavorings on hand for mixing in the glass.

Everything I read said to run a significantly higher pressure on the CO2 for sparking water than one would for the average beer but it seems fine to me at ~11PSI and there have been no complaints and few purchases of Truly. Might go to none now that I can can it for her.

Everything I read said to run a significantly higher pressure on the CO2 for sparking water than one would for the average beer but it seems fine to me at ~11PSI and there have been no complaints and few purchases of Truly.

What diameter tubing are you using? 12psi is gassing out for me.

Uhhh....I don't recall on that kegerator. I want to say a foot shorter than the calculator I used said they should be because I remembered the number wrong. But I am using flow control faucets.

Back