Hard seltzer advice

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JJinTX

Reaction score
Afternoon fellow “Chemists”😁

Any advice/tips on brewing a batch of hard seltzer? I’m not a huge fan of them myself, but it would be nice to have a clean, crisp option for people that come to visit that are on “low carbs/keto diets”. I plan to do it Friday after I get up off of nights. Gonna be a nasty day out so what better way to get my outdoor activities in 🤠

Thanks in advance,
JJ

Last edited:
Reaction score
@JJinTX

Git’ r done boy!

I bought a 50-lb bag of powdered cane sugar from Costco, brought hose water to about 120-degrees Fahrenheit, slowly mixed in 5-lbs of the sugar, then pitched CBC-1 yeast into the hard seltzer “wort” at 70-degrees, then waited a day or two and added in some Fermax yeast nutrient (definitely should’ve added it right before pitching yeast), and viola! Two batches of hard seltzer in no time.

Pro tip: when I added the yeast nutrient (1-1.5 tsp/gal) the yeast went nuts and CO2 production skyrocketed and blew out on one of my small mouth carboys.

My “wort“ came out a little yellow on one and lite milky white on the other (see figure 1) but the FG was 0.992 (desirable) on the yellow and 1.001 on the lite milky white.

Cheers,

Cookin’chickens

Attachments

apache_brew

Reaction score
I’m gonna attempt the Omega route with Proper seltzer nutrients and Lutra yeast, 100% dextrose, and RO water.

Tallgrass

Reaction score
I have done a about 10 batches(5gallon) with varying results. Many stalled fermentations using different nutrients and US-05 and
EC-1118. High temperature kviek of some variety went well. Haven't had to dump any but its a frustrating process for a relatively new brewer.

The last attempt was with a all in one packet from Brewchatter.
Not sure what yeast they use. It's define as "champagne yeast"

5 gallons RO and 5 pounds dextrose
It was "brewed" on 3-25 and this thread prompted me to take a gravity reading.
It's at .994 in 8 days @70f -76f. No temp control and it heated up during fermentation.
I noticed to the airlock quit a few days ago.

I'm not a fan myself so my wife would have to give a taste comparison but there is no sulfur smell that seems to happen with these sad fermentations in my past. I don't taste any off flavors. She drinks it unflavored so nothing to mask undesirables.

Last night I watched that same video posted above. Impressive clarity out of the fermenter but they all seem to clear quickly in the keg.
Next time I place an order with morebeer I'll give it a go but for now 4.99 for a easy one packet pitch is a winner. The Lutra option seems to be about $10 (plus ice packs for the yeast)more per keg.

apache_brew

Reaction score
The Lutra option seems to be about $10 (plus ice packs for the yeast)more per keg.
I'm curious how building up yeast starters works out for yeasts used for seltzers. I'm thinking of buying a single pack of Lutra, and overbuilding it to my batch size (10-15 gallons) and saving some slurry from the flask before pitching for future batches. Should a simple sugar with nutrients be used similar to the end product? Or would a light DME be preferable for yeast health?