Hard salami (made from pork belly)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kimble

Reaction score
Picture was right after I stuffed and hung the.
48 hours now hanging over the counter. I take it and put it into the cave tomorrow.
I stead of a 4lb shoulder 1lb backfat ratio, I did 2.5lb of really nice pork loin and 2.5lb of pork belly. The fat ratio is beautiful and they smell like heaven.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_144733739.jpg
    IMG_20181025_144733739.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
Put them into the fermentation cave at 55F at 80% RH yesterday.
They smell incredible.

Attachments

• IMG_20181028_180034855.jpg
    IMG_20181028_180034855.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20181028_174540508.jpg
    IMG_20181028_174540508.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
thats awesome I NEED to do this. Whats the fermentation cave. Can I use my beer ferm chamber when not in use? How do you monitor and adjust the humidity

The fermentation cave is a repurposed restaurant fridge. Some guys here helped me to bipass the wiring and install an inline inkbird temp control unit to work in concert with the existing compressor control pannel.
I would not recommend the Beer ferment chamber as the fermentation timeline for salami and cheese is months on end, and requires a higher relative humidity than I would be comfortable having in my beer fermentation chamber.
To control the humidity I have a large humidifier hooked up to an external inkbird humidity control device. You need to get a humidifier that has a hard on/off switch and won't reset when powered off.
I keep the humidity between 80-85%.

The fermentation cave is a repurposed restaurant fridge. Some guys here helped me to bipass the wiring and install an inline inkbird temp control unit to work in concert with the existing compressor control pannel.
I would not recommend the Beer ferment chamber as the fermentation timeline for salami and cheese is months on end, and requires a higher relative humidity than I would be comfortable having in my beer fermentation chamber.
To control the humidity I have a large humidifier hooked up to an external inkbird humidity control device. You need to get a humidifier that has a hard on/off switch and won't reset when powered off.
I keep the humidity between 80-85%.
Geez louise....thats alot for sausage...I dont have a spare fridge and Electric around here is a killer. The humidifier for months on end would cost me fortune....looks like that aint happening...bummer

That's just what I have to do because I am in Florida. If you have a basement that maintains a low temp year round you can hang them there and just run a small humidifier underneath them and make a garbage bag cave to trap moisture.

Back