Hard maple sap cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbostarr

Reaction score
I tapped a sugar maple back in March and got 10 gallons of fresh sap. I put 5 in the freezer in case I wanted a second attempt (last year I wrecked it by not being sterile enough). Once in the cleaned carboy I added a local yeast I harvested from a winter brew (Windy Brow Farms In Newton, NJ- they don't pasteurize their cider). I think my usual store bought yeast, D-47, would also work fine. I added 4 pounds of sugar (heated w some sap to dissolve first) to raise the ABV from 3%. I added some yeast energizer and booster then waited 3 months. When totally dry I racked it two times, added some sodium metabisulfite and some Superclear. Waited another week and racked again when nearly clear. After tasting it in a 1 cup measure, I gradually added real maple syrup and malic acid to make it taste just right, then I did the math for 5 gallons; 3 cups maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of malic acid. Then I bottled and put 2.5 gallons into my keg to force carb. One of my best ciders in 5 years of brewing! oh, and I am considering adding a little caramel color as it's quite pale looking still.

Attachments

• cider.JPG
    cider.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 4
Back