Hard lemonade just now starting to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
I bottled 1 gallon of hard lemonade on Jan 30th and today (Feb 7th) it is now starting to ferment!! Does it usually take that long to get going? I made a warm starter with the yeast and 1/4 cup 95 degree water which sat for 15 min.

2 Cans Minute Maid Concentrate
4.2oz corn sugar
1/2 package red star champagne yeast.
OG-1070

thanks!

Well, I can't say whether it's normal or not, but I'm in the process of making my first cider...

5 gallons unpasteurized cider
4 zested oranges (and one lightly squeezed)
1 lb wildflower honey
1 lb dark brown sugar
4 sticks of cinnamon
1 package red star champagne yeast

I made a warm starter as well - 2 oz's water for about 20 minutes before pitching.
I started it just yesterday and have no fermenting yet, but I was planning on giving it a few days before I tried a new package of yeast...

I'll keep an eye on this thread - let me know if it continues or freezes up again.

Sounds good, btw!!!

DogFace_Brewing said:
I bottled 1 gallon of hard lemonade on Jan 30th and today (Feb 7th) it is now starting to ferment!! Does it usually take that long to get going? I made a warm starter with the yeast and 1/4 cup 95 degree water which sat for 15 min.

2 Cans Minute Maid Concentrate
4.2oz corn sugar
1/2 package red star champagne yeast.
OG-1070

thanks!

Idid a hard lemonade last year that took three attempts to get fermentation started. Once it took off it was great. I ended up mixing some of the must with a pack of yeast and put it on my sir plate. I think it was yopper who I got thexrip from. An old thread but work great. Good luck and enjoy.

Hopefully, you misspoke and didn't bottle and it's in the fermenter.

Lemonade is my HARDEST ferment! If you read my recipe, I talk alot about how to get it going. The acidity is a killer.

Just wanted to post my own update - my cider started fermenting healthily last night and is still going strong today - took about 5 days from being pitched.

Hopefully, you misspoke and didn't bottle and it's in the fermenter.

Lemonade is my HARDEST ferment! If you read my recipe, I talk alot about how to get it going. The acidity is a killer.

Yep...I meant I put ingredients in the bottle (1 gallon jug) to ferment, not bottle like secondary. I will take a look at your info...Thanks Yooper!! :ban:

I've never found it hard to start the ferment, but to get a good tasting product is difficult. Any fresh lemon you use in the fermenter is almost tasteless after fermentation. I ended up having to use freshly squeezed lemon juice in each bottle for a lemon taste (not complaining, it came out brilliantly).

Latest posts

Back