Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friel56

Reaction score
I made hard cider. I let it set for 2 weeks transferred it to a second pale. Then let i set for 1 week. This weekend i was going to bottle it but It tastes kinda of tart and slit hint of vinegary. Is there a way to fix the taste. I have been reading about adding dextrose at bottle. Oh yeah first time doing this. HELP!!!

Adding the dextrose will give the cider carbonation when bottled for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the vinegar taste could be but generally after bottle conditioning, the tastes improve and it will mellow out. I would just try that and see also the extra sugar might help offset the bitterness.

-Jeff

There is no cure for vinegar. Once yoi have it, it is not going away.

The problem is transferring to a pail, which has a wide headspace and lots of room for oxygen (and oxygen loving bacteria). If you must transfer, then it's very important to use an appropriately sized carboy and make sure there is NO headspace.

If it's vinegar, or infected, there is no cure. Hopefully, you're just tasting a very dry tart cider, and it's not actually "sour" but instead "tart", which is normal.

The vinegar is from a bacterial contamination. To me there is a very distinct difference between acid tartness and vinegar. If it really is vinegar it will get worse. If you transfer you must transfer to a container that has less head space, like a carboy. I also think 2 weeks is too soon to transfer a cider. Good cider takes time. I've produced my smoothest cider by leaving a month in primary and then another month in secondary. It also crystal clear when I bottle and remains that way. I find that the rest of the yeast drop out after I transfer, but you probably leave it less time in secondary than I do. I just find that schedule produces the cider that I've made.

Back