Hard cider with Apricots...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like a delicious idea! I would say rack from primary onto dried apricots (make sure they are preservative free) and report back. Either that or try Brandon o's graff recipe and rack to apricots. Either way it sounds awesome!

I currently have a batch of Apfelwein fermenting as we speak. I let my first batch age 6 months in the bottle. This stuff is friggin delicious! I couldn't keep from pouring another bottle... and once my wife tasted it, the rest of the batch completely vanished.

Overall, Apfelwein finishes pretty dry. An addition of apricots sounds like an ideal variation of this recipe. Your upscale grocery store usually carries canned apricot pie filling, which may be what you are looking for. KraphthBier's suugestion of diced dried apricots also sounds great. Let us know if you decide to do an apricot version!

Wonderful ideas. I like the pie filling and also the dried fruit. I also was considering substituting a gallon of natural apricot juice instead of apple juice. Thoughts on that?

If i decide to go the canned/dried ways... Can anyone ballpark an amount to add. Thx everyone.

I would be weary of the canned stuff - it's probably cooked, which means the pectin might be set and it might permanently haze your cider. A gallon of juice would probably be great. Just keep in mind that apricots contain rather more acid than you'd expect tasting them ripe, so it may come out fairly tart with that much juice.

Couple thoughts... Is there pasteurizing involved? Also with the last comment maybe 3/4 of a gallon may be better. Ill try both ways if first is a success.

Back