Hard cider second fermentation pumpkin spice cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Mex brews

Reaction score
Hello everyone fairly new around here, And to the cider and beer making.

I been fermenting a cider 1 gallon batch for 2 weeks first OG was 1.090 added sugar and honey at the beginning maybe too much? Lol

Anyways i was planning on doing a second fermentation and i was thinking pumpkin would maybe be good? Well found me some pumpkin spice cider from the store and i was thinking mixing a little bit on it, It turns out it has potassium sorbate would that be a problem on second fermentation should i just bottle it already or,? Since like i said I'm new to all this I'm kind of lost don't know where to go from here.

Why do you want to do a 'second' fermentation? To carbonate in bottles or . . . ? Either way, I believe the potasium sorbate will inhibit any fermentation.

Why do you want to do a 'second' fermentation? To carbonate in bottles or . . . ? Either way, I believe the potasium sorbate will inhibit any fermentation.

I had seen that you added flavors on second fermentation maybe wrong information or ? That's the idea that i had in mind this is only the second time i have done cider. I have a lot of homework to do still on hard cider

Ahh got you. Yeah, some call it back sweeten some call it something else. I do a 'second' fermentation when I bottle to get some carbonation in my bottles.

Either way, that juice you mention has potassium sorbate in it which will not ferment readily, however, it will still add flavor and sweetness. You could rack into some of that, bottle and have some still cider I'm sure.

Ahh got you. Yeah, some call it back sweeten some call it something else. I do a 'second' fermentation when I bottle to get some carbonation in my bottles.

Either way, that juice you mention has potassium sorbate in it which will not ferment readily, however, it will still add flavor and sweetness. You could rack into some of that, bottle and have some still cider I'm sure.

Yes i seen some people ferment 2 weeks put in clean carboy add fruits flavors ect, Then leave it another 2 weeks idk so many people do it differently. I guess by the time you finish you have your own personal way of doing it,
I'm gonna decide tonight what to do with it one thing tho it looks like its gonna be a strong batch.
Hey thanks for replying back! Cheers!

Depending on how much you add, and how much active yeast is still present in your cider, the sorbate might get diluted enough to where fermentation can still take place. I would wait to bottle it until you're sure that it's done fermenting. Could be an interesting experiment, either way you should still end up with something drinkable, and yes it will be strong as far as ciders go.

Back